Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to check marker beacon lights?

I’ve got a question. How could I test whether my markers (inner, middle, outer) are actually working?

Of course the lamps glow upon powering the panel. And I know how to enable sound output to double-check receptance of the marker. But I asked around and found out that the markers on actual instrument approaches that I’ve flown were actually shut down, so I have yet to find an active marker to cross-check.

However, as I’m puzzling whether they are actually working or not, is there an easy way to find out whether they are working, e.g. actually able to receive a signal?

Edit: It’s included in a Garmin GMA 340 audio panel (powering the beautiful original lamps, but that should have no effect on this question)

Last Edited by UdoR at 13 Jun 12:28
Germany

Arne wrote:

Get a signal generator and an antenna?

Where from? I could build one, yes, but I have other things to do

Maybe one here in the forum has one to lend?

Last Edited by UdoR at 13 Jun 15:44
Germany

Any avionics company or independent technician with a ramp tester such an a IFR NAV401L, NAV402AP, NAV4000 or similar from TIC should be able to test your Marker receiver. I still use the old 401L as it’s great for autopilot testing.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Why bother, I don’t think there are any nowadays, they were replaced by dme. Last one I flew was benbecula in the 90’s IIRC.Anyone know of any still in use?

Last Edited by PeteD at 14 Jun 07:49
EGNS, Other

The OP is in Germany, which might have some, on ex US AF places like e.g. Ramstein.

Maybe Brize Norton? My intercom used to light up those lamps when I flew near or over Brize.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As per UdoR “ But I asked around and found out that the markers on actual instrument approaches that I’ve flown were actually shut down”. I rest my case ;-)

EGNS, Other

OK then why are the marker beacons still in the Jeppesen approach charts if they are all shut down? It’s a bit annoying.

Have they all been shut down? Then I couldn’ care less.

I know that my system had been tested in 2020 and all was working fine. I’ve got the protocol. I just wanted to recheck that, because there’s no way to fly to places and check.

Germany

Hi,yes I agree! As Peter says, I think you’ll have to look fairly hard to find any of operational value.

I haven’t used them since the 90’s, and then they were supplemented by DME. (Mainly flying UK, with some Larger European airports),

Obsolete IMHO, probably best removed and binned as weight/drag saving effort!

Last Edited by PeteD at 14 Jun 13:08
EGNS, Other

UdoR wrote:

OK then why are the marker beacons still in the Jeppesen approach charts if they are all shut down? It’s a bit annoying.

Here’s a screenshot (only the relevant portion for not to infringe copyright) of the approach chart of the ILS 08R in EDDP that I’ve flown recently. There’s a middle marker in the chart but it’s not working.

Last Edited by UdoR at 14 Jun 13:26
Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message