Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Socata pricing, and why not buy from the airframe manufacturer

The metal ring used to be something like 20 quid but presumably some tiny outfit making it has gone belly up and Socata has to buy it from some bigger firm which is telling them they don’t want to make it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My favorite is still the pricing of the stainless steel fuel filter – now at over 2000€.
(Ok, they changed the compulsory replacement every 3rd year, but if you break it, you have to buy one…

EDM_, Germany

I have a reference for many parts here and I think it has that filter under N7284526357. It was under £200 when I started, but I kept all the “discarded” ones from when I was G-reg. They never needed replacement on N-reg if they inspect OK.

You can see what happened:

http://www.sofrance.com
then
http://www.donaldsonaerospace-defense.com

and the latter is not interested. Many of these French firms were bought by US firms which trimmed the product range.

Probably most people used a company for maintenance and the old filters – in 100% perfect condition; stainless steel – were discarded.

I am amazed EASA demands you to follow the 3 year cycle.

Administrator

We have purchased the front axle replacement from Daher after the last mandatory SB was issued.
From the 4 dealer offers within Europe, the one from France was fair priced. Done with that.

Later on some maintenance, one small crack identified on engine support strut.
Asked for AOG quote and delivery… no response.
After 10 days and few contacts finally got reply than quote with AOG fee.
The price of piece of steel tube (strut) goes sky high. The AOG fee was non acceptable
after 10 days of waiting.
The outcome, visit to certified welder shop, 1/3 of above cost, all done.

Croatia

I am amazed EASA demands you to follow the 3 year cycle.

It does not.

Unless it is an

• AD
  • Airworthiness Limitation
  • aircraft operated in an AOC

as Part-ML applies one can indefinitely use that filter on condition.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 10 Aug 21:01
always learning
LO__, Austria

@Peter
In 2017 Socata issued an AM changing the 3yr replacement obligation and only requiring an annual washing & inspection (sort of IRAN).
But they did NOT change the MM, the AM is not widely known and many shops still insist on the change…
If you have more used ones than you need, i would be interested in one – as a backup if mine breaks during the annual IRAN.
ATN_123_2017_AM_281_29_pdf

(See you tonight)

EDM_, Germany

Yes all this is a revenue killer for the industry. 25% of 2k is significantly more than 25% of nothing Part-ML? Never heard of it… mate, take your business elsewhere, and while you are doing that, get your plane out of our hangar…

The filter should not break unless the mechanic is a total monkey. I think I have 1 extra (been N-reg since 2005 so didn’t need to buy any) but it may be the old style.

I reckon Socata have been putting on 10-20% every year and that is on parts they either make (not many these days) or buy in from the same source. Many parts came from various obscure firms which have shut or got taken over and those have seen huge rises. I wonder if US made planes have seen the same? Covid drove a lot of p1ss taking but that bubble should be crashing back down now.

Administrator

The opportunist cowboys never miss a trick

Administrator

As they say in the used car business, for every seat there’s an ass. But it doesn’t have to be you

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Aug 16:47
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message