Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

The Q I would have is how can such errors persist in a product which has been out (for that area) for a year or two?

The answer has to be, IMHO, that

• almost nobody out there uses it, or
  • almost nobody out there reports the errors (maybe can’t speak English so they don’t want to), or
  • the vendor doesn’t respond to the reports

or obviously some combination of the above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am one of the beta testers on the IFR features of Skydemon and have referred these comments to Tim Dawson who runs Skydemon. Here are his comments:

Thanks John.

I don’t have an account there but I’ve looked at the thread. Would you mind quoting me?

Firstly, thanks to the OP for alerting us to this error. As it happens, this AIRAC cycle we made the effort to bring the maintenance of the controlled airspace data for Norway in-house. We did this because we had identified a couple of errors in the data which we previously obtained from another source (we didn’t see this particular error though). Norway is I think the last country for which we relied on a third-party for controlled airspace data; all such data is now maintained in-house to our own strict standards which lessens the occurrence of embarrassing errors like this one.

You’ll see the fix to the controlled airspace in the next AIRAC update. I’ve just verified that the particular section highlighted by the OP now says FL95-FL660 as it should.

The training and danger areas are different, and tricky. In our data we require an absolute level for the lower limit of a piece of airspace (be it FL, altitude or height). We cannot say “the lower limit of controlled airspace” (which is somewhat unusual). This is why the “failsafe” option of reverting to surface has happened for these areas. We don’t have many choices here: the first is what we’ve done, the second is to split up the areas along the lateral limits of the controlled airspace and give each resulting area different vertical limits (technically correct but messy and a nightmare to maintain), the third might be to just use the lowest of the controlled airspace lower limits which the area encompasses.

Tim Dawson | SkyDemon

END QUOTE

I hope this is useful.

By the way, as a datapoint, my email to Tim containing the link was sent at 21.30 today and his reply hit my inbox at 21.43, I’ve only just seen it.

EGSC

We cannot say “the lower limit of controlled airspace” (which is somewhat unusual).

Well, EasyVFR does that. That is the only correct way of doing it because that is what the AIP say. The main thing is however, these air spaces are of no concern to VFR pilots in G, and certainly of no concern to IFR/VFR pilots in C. They basically are tools for the ATC and the military to allow military operations to be done with minimal fuzz for civilian aircraft. You should know they are there, but they are of no operational interest, not even when planning (NOTAM should be read of course).

The Q I would have is how can such errors persist in a product which has been out (for that area) for a year or two?

The answer has to be, IMHO, that

almost nobody out there uses it, or
almost nobody out there reports the errors (maybe can’t speak English so they don’t want to), or
the vendor doesn’t respond to the reports
or obviously some combination of the above.

I think the straight forward answer is, people try it in a trial period and find errors like these. Then they move on or stick to what they already got.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

OSX version of Skydemon

I’ve just created an updated version of Skydemon for OSX (using Wine), the current version on their website is quite dated. If there are more of you who enjoy an OSX version of Skydemon, send me a PM and I’ll send you the link.

(no affiliation whatsoever with SD)

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 11 May 17:48

Those of you who have PM:ed me just received the link. If you haven’t got it, post here :)

Looks to work just fine, thanks!

LRSV, Romania

I haven’t but, maybe because I PM:ed you today afternoon :)
Thanks in advance!

ESSN

Anyone know how to turn off the airways routes that have suddenly appeared on SkyDemon’s latest UK chart upload. Looks a right jumble now for VFR flying under 10,000ft.

Looks like airways are now incorporated with the controlled airspace which is not needed. Just want controlled airspace within vicinity of airports not all the airways above 10,000ft

I’ve tried setting different charts and changing the planning and flying min and max heights but doesn’t seem to do anything

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

In the menu Mapping (2nd item), select Switch to VFR Mode (4th item)

Belgium

The Standardised European Rules of the Air (SERA) have forbidden VFR in class A for good in 2014
France used to allow VFR in Paris class A CTR for medevac flights, sar flights etc. The airspace have been reclassified in class D, and R zones have been added to forbid VFR flights except medevac sar etc. All in all nothing changes for the pilot, but the Aeronautical Information structure has changed.

Has the same thing happened in Italy? Is Skydemon closer to reality now?

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 16 Jan 19:40
Paris, France
Sign in to add your message