Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

I have used SD on an ipad mini with internal gps for the last few months and have found it works flawlessly in my Slingby.

I tried it in Europe and the USA a few times in other aircraft and it worked fine and the chart coverage seems excellent.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

With all the available software on my iPads I use an external GPS as I do not trust the Apple offering. I steered away from the Bad Elf with lighning connector as I think there is a potential for damage and prefer a BT connection – a Dual XGPS160.

SkyDemon is very good – there are other providers

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Personally, if I was flying a cub I would go for either Garmin Pilot or Runway HD with a 1:250k map subscription and an external GPS (I use a Garmin GLO). The both have more terrain mapping detail than SD.

RR is good for IFR but pretty limited VFR.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

PeterM, thanks, I assume the risk on the lightning connector is bending it when in use?

DaveP will check out RunwayHD, Garmin Pilot is also popular.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RunwayHD is a ravenous consumer of GB, and quite obstinate when you want to shift it to free up capacity. Will keep it in mind if and when I upgrade my iPad mini.

I used to use Memory Map with the UK CAA charts on it. It certainly has the benefit of familiarity and of course showing your location.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Oh yes, MM was a fun product. UK only, zero support, but it did work. Then they started encrypting the files… and blocked the use of the older (QCT) files.

Nowadays I run all those maps under Oziexplorer – they have been “underground converted” to generic graphical formats and calibrated to run as a GPS moving map. This is a nice solution for windows or android devices, only, though MM itself also runs on IOS. The maps also exist in current versions for France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria. The source of the French one is probably going to vanish eventually since the promoter got killed in a plane crash.

But I don’t think any of the raster chart products offer flight planning facilites, beyond very simple drawing of tracks. The software has no idea of any objects on the map. It’s all just a graphical file.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@RobertL18C – yes, I am always worried about damaging the connector – less so than with the older 32 pin connector but still worried enough to avoid having things plugged in while mobile if I can possibly avoid it. My understanding is that accidental damage to the connector is not covered by the Apple warranty.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Dave_Phillips wrote:

The both have more terrain mapping detail than SD

Is this correct? SD has the option to download detailed terrain….it doesn’t download the HD map unless you want it to…in case you are data or memory limited I suppose…no separate subscription required…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 01 Mar 16:44
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

If you are only an occasional magenta line user there is a free service in the UK which seems very helpful.

EasyVFR provide a free UK app UK Airspace Avoid with a NATS quality blessing.

Skydemon light is the free, non moving map version for desktop planning. You can export the .gpx via e mail and this can be opened and saved in UK AA.

Slightly cumbersome but works fine with a GPS iPad mini.

Depending on useage will either go with easyVFR or SkyDemon. EasyVFR speaks to RocketRoute for filing plans.

Sign in to add your message