Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skydemon (merged thread)

In my humble opinion, it would be better to try to convince the Czech authorities to issue a Trigger NOTAM associated with every AIP SUP, as it is customary in all other countries that I know.

Actually they themselves commit to issuing such a Trigger NOTAM (see bottom of page). The only sensible change would be to not suppress it after 15 days.

In order to control and regulate the operationally significant changes requiring amendments to charts, route-manuals etc., such changes whenever possible, will be issued on predetermined dates according to the AIRAC SYSTEM. This type of information will be published as an AIRAC AIP AMDT or an AIRAC AIP SUP. AIRAC information will be issued so that the information will be received by the user not later than 28 days, and for major changes not later than 56 days, before the effective date. At AIRAC effective date, a trigger NOTAM will be issued giving a brief description of the contents, effective date and reference number of the AIRAC AIP AMDT or AIRAC AIP SUP that will become effective on that date. Trigger NOTAM will remain in force as a reminder in the PIB until the new checklist/summary is issued, but at least 15 days after effective date.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 18 Aug 09:59

there was a trigger notam per EUROCONTROL standard issued. the best way would be to keep NOTAM in place….but there might be some duration limits for NOTAM, I am not sure yet.

LKKU, LKTB

Michal wrote:

I always liked Skydemon but this is somehow destroying the image

I’ve generally found Skydemon support attitude to be the less good part of the product. I’ve had one or two issues where explanations were not very convincing and in the tone of “we are right”. Working in software myself I haven’t been convinced so far.
On 3 occasions on the same trip, I submitted flight plans (credit consumed), and never got to ATC nor my email. They claimed it was the system’s fault and they did everything right (but when then these 3 plans that didn’t get to ATC were also the only ones that never reached my email?). These were international flights so really frustrating to get a “no flight plan” when calling ATC. I felt I was being treated a bit condescendingly.

I have recommended their product in the past, but definitely wouldn’t recommend their support, and have heard similar reports from friends.
It’s sad the support is so much better / welcoming with a free application like Achim’s Autorouter.

Rwy20 wrote:

The only sensible change would be to not suppress it after 15 days.

It’s at least 15 days. ICAO IIRC calls for 14 although I believe 15 is more common (at least here in EASA land). So nothing unusual there.

What I learned in the meantime – the official guidance (ICAO ,OPADD) for Notams is max. duration 3 months and re-issuance is not permitted, AIP SUP must be considered. Trigger notam for AIP SUP is 2 weeks only, so if you miss thiss one, you need yo check AIP SUPs. Hm, regulators are not making our life easy…unless you regularly browse AIP SUPs for whole Europe as bed time reading every other evening…

LKKU, LKTB

A few years ago I was at a meeting at NATS (the main UK ATC body) and somebody made the comment that nobody reads the AIP. Everybody laughed and it was agreed all around that nobody reads the AIP…

I think it is true for at least 95% of the PPL population. But then there are all sorts of populations within that; e.g. those who fly only local runs don’t need to read that stuff, generally… until there is a Red Arrows display for which somebody just got fined some £2500 (not reading notams).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have been wondering this, the subject being “less than perfectly” covered when I took ground class.

• basically, everything is in the AIP
  • the AIP is updated monthly (every four weeks, to be precise), with the changes listed in the AIRAC
  • NOTAMs bring non-permanent information, always limited in time (or they should be transferred to the AIRAC)

What is the exact purpose/function of the AIP SUP?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Things of temporary nature that need more explaning than just a short NOTAM.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Michal wrote:

What I learned in the meantime – the official guidance (ICAO ,OPADD) for Notams is max. duration 3 months and re-issuance is not permitted,

Oops! They had NOTAMs about customs (lack thereof) at LFPT and LFPN for a lot longer than that. Several years, actually! Naughty, naughty.

LFPT, LFPN

just discovered some other apps are showing AIP SUP correctly. like AeroNotm

LKKU, LKTB
Sign in to add your message