Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Current legal and technical position regarding the airborne use of [3G] data services?

Haven't seen an Austrian VFR chart in a couple of years, but they did print the phone nos of the various ATC units on it, so you could call them in-flight in case of radio failure.

Personally have used mobile phone in flight in various locations with varying success. It appears that the sparser populated the area, hence fewer towers, gives you a higher altitude from which to connect. The reason was once explained to me by a network guy. He claimed that the problem was that from an airborne position the phone would 'see' too many towers (cells) and try to log on to all of them. Which, in turn, screws the network.

I was reliably informed that the advice in Switzerland is now that mobile phones should be left on in flight, as it is a much more reliable way of finding an accident site than an ELT.

USING MOBILES ON AIRCRAFT

2G (GSM) phones will be able to use the system for data, voice and text services. If the service is successful it could be extended to 3G and other standards in the future. Ofcom proposes to allow the use of these systems by amending the aircraft operators' existing Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006 licences.

Thus, it would seem legality is tied to the operatror's Licence

My feeling is that there is no clear prohibition on the use of GSM phones in the air, on a private flight

Even if there was, it's near impossible to police and although through methods of triangulation, your position between cell masts can be detected, I dont know if your altitude can be discovered. Technically its no doubt possible, but whether they have the infrastructure to do that I dont know. Others more into electronics might be able to say I am wrong. Even if they could, would it really free up much bandwidth cutting off signals for anyone +500 AGL or something?

I reckon it's mostly to do with the unknowns (or maybe they are 'knowns' now) about aircraft navigation electronics, plus a good dose of cautiosness. Anyhow, having suffered on a daily basis hearing half of people's disturbing conversations on the train every day, I am delighted you cant use them at least on commercial flights :-)))

My feeling is that there is no clear prohibition on the use of GSM phones in the air, on a private flight.

If there is a prohibition it will be in the phone companies 3G licence; your phone operates under the conditions of that licence.

I reckon they just cut your specific phone off

Maybe, or we just live in a completely risk adverse culture where no one can say "BOO!" without a risk assessment of the causal factors of heart attacks completed.

EDHS, Germany

It did make sense to me: if you imagine all the commercial aircraft within the London TMA whizzing around, and the number of mobile phones trying to login to the base stations at speed, it would crash the networks...

I agree, but the fact is that a lot of airline passengers don't turn their phones off, yet the networks don't crash, so they must have found a way to deal with the issue.

I reckon they just cut your specific phone off

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not that I am a conspiracy theorist... but someone did tell me once that the ban on the phones in flight has more to do with the networks crashing than interference.

It did make sense to me: if you imagine all the commercial aircraft within the London TMA whizzing around, and the number of mobile phones trying to login to the base stations at speed, it would crash the networks...

But because they said it was a safety issue they had to extend it to all aircraft... This explanation does make sense to me.

I will caveat it though, because the same person did also try to convince me that it wasn't ice that brought down the 777 at Heathrow, but the Electronic Counter Measures on the Queen's Flight aircraft carrying Gordon Brown that left Northholt minutes before the crash...

EDHS, Germany

never had any interference issues. i work on getting 3g reception when below 2000 feet. and i have been known to drop below this level to check weather rainy days update and text the missis when i am running late.

I've been monitoring 3G connectivity for a couple of years (Since iPad). Broadly, 3G will not work above about 1000' in UK or Germany. However it will work in some parts of France where I've been able to send photo's by email at medium levels c. 5000'.

In the US 3G will usually work wherever there's any signal and again I've been able to email photos at levels up to 10,000'. I've also been able to download an entire Foreflight chart where my route crossed a sectional boundary that I hadn't spotted on the ground. I've also found that Foreflight's wonderful real time weather is almost always up to date in real time.

In New Zealand 3G access seems all pervasive with full web browsing, email and SkyDemon functionality at levels up to 6000' (The highest my 150 wanted to go!).

Most of this 3G enabled flying is in mountainous areas which might be relevant. Flying with 3G is like reaching out and touching the future, flying as it ought to be.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message