Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anybody using Camguard? (merged)

Thinking about Phillips + LW + Camguard for the winter period.

That is a pretty expensive mix! I'd rather use AS W80 Plus + Camguard in that case. I made the "mistake" of filling in summer oil two weeks ago but I'm planning to leave on a trip tomorrow which would get me the 25h until the next scheduled oil service

aircraftspruce.eu is the cheapest supplier of oils in Europe based on my research.

Update on Blackstone Labs:

The last oil sample was taken in duplicate. One was sent to Avlab and one was sent to Blackstone.

Blackstone's figures are much higher, from 30% up (chromium) through 50% (aluminium) to > 40x higher (tin).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oil change every 50 h, plus filter, oil analysis too.

The rest is "homeopathy" in my eyes :-)

50 hours should absolutely be no problem for any modern engine oil, and I see no advantage in more oil changes.

Engines are ruined by pilots in flight. Mostly by shockcooling them and by treating them badly in many other ways. Big Contis die on a regular basis because CHTs were too high. Other reasons are bad material and too high tolerances even in new engines.

But - of course - the engine will not be hurt by oil changes every 25 hours. To me it's a waste of time, and oil.

Or is there ANY statistical basis that supports 25 h oil changes?

4 months are more important than the 25h/50h question. Saying that I was happy to change every 25h.

A rather interesting presentation by Ed Collin, creator of CamGuard and Exxon Elite oil on aircraft engine lubrication. A good mix of technical facts and product advertisement that makes it worth a read.

Aircraft Engine Lubrication – What you should know

[ Local copy http://peter-ftp.co.uk/aviation/misc-euroga/AIRCRAFT_ENGINE_LUBRICATION.pdf ]

Those photos of with CamGuard seem to clean to be believable.

I was impressed with them too.

However my oil analysis is categorical – I posted the details elsewhere here. There is roughly a 2x factor improvement in the “hard” metals.

My last-1 oil sample went to both Avlab and Blackstone, but with discrepancies. The last one went to both likewise and I have just received the Blackstone data but not yet the other.

Camguard works really well for reducing engine wear.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, is it equally effective in preventing further wear in new engines and in those past mid-life? Mine has about 1700 hours since OH, and I wonder if introducing Camguard at this point would make any significant difference.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Wear is a function of lubrication and it happens all the time. If you improve lubrication, wear will decrease. So assuming that CamGuard actually works (which is hard to prove), the answer is yes.

Sign in to add your message