Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft tug (merged)

Do anyone have recommendations for an electric tug to be used with Piper PA28 and PA32?

G

I have had one of these for many years and find it excellent.

EGKB Biggin Hill

That’s the Aero-Pac. Two issues with it would appear to be

• 12kg – ok or not depending on whether you want to carry it in the aircraft and, if so, where do you have to lift it into
  • a large lithium battery – again an issue only when flying with it

I reckon there is a market for a lightweight tug. For private use, one needs the pulling power but one doesn’t need any great speed.

However – there is a discussion of this further back up this thread – much depends on whether you want it to work on grass because that is a completely different proposition.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve seen the Aero-Pac in action on a SR22. In front of my hangar there is a slight incline and the APT2000 drive will slip on the nosewheel uphill even when quite a bit of pressure is applied to the tow bar. I am not sure what that does to the tyre in the long run.

I have this. It seems to work reasonably well but it is a pain to attach to the airplane because it cannot freewheel.

LFPT, LFPN

Mine drives my 3 tonne Navajo uphill in the wet. Go figure.

EGKB Biggin Hill

A device which drives the front tyre by pushing against it will be effective in proportion to the front wheel radius, so maybe you have a bigger front wheel than some?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got the sidewinder which works well for me.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

A device which drives the front tyre by pushing against it will be effective in proportion to the front wheel radius, so maybe you have a bigger front wheel than some?

Maybe. I’ve only tried it on the Aztec and the Navajo and it worked really well on both.

It is advertised as working on tailwheel aircraft, mind you.

EGKB Biggin Hill

i did a similar job with a unit from ebay for 250 euros works well for me (lights, electric start, )

https://myrv10factory.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/the-new-cooper-air-power-tug-and-travel-tow-bar-mount/

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=108484

Last Edited by Peter_Paul at 29 Mar 01:13
fly2000

Ordered a TowFLEXX® 2.5, got a good deal on SnF.

G

Sign in to add your message