Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

It’s important to note that most of these frequencies, even though “converted” to 8.33, actually remained the same (e.g. 134.300 at LKBU was formally converted to 134.305, which is actually the same frequency). Accordingly, quite a few aircraft, especially those only flying in the vicinity of the base airfield, are still using old 25 kHz radios and no one can catch them without actually looking into the cockpit. Only about 10% of all frequencies nationwide were moved to the channels that don’t coincide with the 25 kHz grid.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

and no one can catch them without actually looking into the cockpit

Or measuring the emitted signal bandwidth, which is not so hard.

ESME, ESMS

Peter wrote:

I ahve made some phone calls and it doesn’t look like UK airports are paying this “8.33 tax”. One of them told me that their tower etc frequencies are “8.33 compatible”

What do you mean – the airports are going to an 8.33 channel to avoid Ofcom’s punitive charging, or they are not going to an 8.33 channel and Ofcom has backed off on the punitive charges?

Andreas IOM

Dimme wrote:

How many radios are really going to have a bandwidth greater than an 8.33 channel anyway? I have to imagine any 720/760 channel radio will have a low pass filter on the audio stage such that they won’t use more than ~6kHz RF bandwidth on the resulting signal anyway.

Andreas IOM

Pytlak wrote:

What do you think about it?

I think CZ should have waited until January 1 when the general 8.33 kHz requirement comes into force.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The main thing is that despite the fact that it is technically still possible somehow, it is already 100% illegal. If you say that it is OK, I can fly without pilot license or without medical and consider it OK.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Dimme wrote:

The bandwidth depends only on the transmitted voice message. The bandwidth of the emitted signal from a 25 kHz radio is no different from that of an 8.33 kHz radio.

What you probably mean is the frequency accuracy. But most 25 kHz radios would already have sufficient accuracy so as to be indistinguishable from an 8.33 kHz radio

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Nov 13:43
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Why did CZ do this so aggressively? Do they have the UK-type spectrum tax system?

not at all, we are just experts in f*cking up any international requirements we have to implement. (being more pope than pope itself we say here)

LKLT.LKBE

What do you mean – the airports are going to an 8.33 channel to avoid Ofcom’s punitive charging, or they are not going to an 8.33 channel and Ofcom has backed off on the punitive charges?

No idea

Maybe they will re-publish 125.000 (say) as 125.005 and then life will continue as normal, since 25kHz radios can continue to be used

But I have not seen anybody go to the “8.33 matrix” so it doesn’t look like anybody is actually paying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

The bandwidth of the emitted signal from a 25 kHz radio is no different from that of an 8.33 kHz radio.

I will have to do a test when I go home, because I can actually hear difference with my handheld when I set it on a 8.33 frequency.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message