Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

Anybody from the Netherlands on the forum who could give a short information which areas already have to be avoided VFR without a 8,33? I couldn´t completely understand and translate the Dutch AOPA information AOPA Netherlands for myself and have to admit I haven´t found the full information in the Dutch AIP "":http://www.ais-netherlands.nl/index.html. Planning to get the next maintenance of my PH-reg, Germany based aircraft e.g. in EHLE

TB20 Airman
Borkenberge EDLB, Germany

From EU 1079/2012

2. From 1 January 2014 an operator shall not operate an aircraft flying under instrument flight rules in airspace class A, B or C of the Member States listed in Annex I unless the aircraft radio equipment has the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability

3. With regard to the carriage requirements of 8,33 kHz channel spacing radio equipment identified in paragraph 2, an operator shall not operate an aircraft flying under visual flight rules in areas operating in 8,33 kHz channel spacing unless the aircraft radio equipment has the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability.

This comes down to most controlled airspace.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Eurocontrol has now said all controlled airspace to the surface from 1 Jan 2018.

http://www.eurocontrol.int/news/833-khz-magic-number-1-january-2018

EGTK Oxford

Interesting…

A large % of the GA I know about down here never enters CAS. Shoreham-Bembridge, Shoreham-Lydd, etc. In fact you can fly all over the UK in Class G very easily.

What might drive 8.33 is if common ground stations (e.g. Farnborough or worse still London Info) adopt 8.33. But IMHO that’s unlikely because the last thing CAA/NATS want is traffic busting CAS which they have no means of calling up. I am really surprised Dutch Military went to 8.33 (last year). It’s about as useful as Microsoft remotely reformatting all hard disks which don’t have Windows 10…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In fact you can fly all over the UK in Class G very easily.

You can fly over 90 percent (probably even more) of Germany between the surface and FL95 within airspaces G and E – which is controlled but not for VFR flights – without any requirement to talk with someone. You don’t even have to carry a radio.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Everybody tells me Class E is “controlled airspace”

So, yes, you can fly in it non-radio but if 8.33 is required for “CAS” (as an airspace requirement under the equipment carriage regs) then any radio carried (even if not used) has to be 8.33 for the flight to be legal.

It’s like an ELT. If it is required to be carried then you have to carry it, even though you won’t be using it

Administrator

From the implementing reg:

5. Member States shall ensure that by 31 December 2017 at the latest all radios have the 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability with the exception of ground radios operated by air navigation service providers.
6. In addition to 8,33 kHz channel spacing capability, the equipment referred to in paragraphs 1-5 shall be able to tune to 25 kHz spaced channels.

1. This Regulation shall apply to all radios operating in the 117,975-137 MHz band (‘the VHF band’) allocated to the aeronautical mobile route service, including systems, their constituents and associated procedures.
2. This Regulation shall apply to flight data processing systems serving air traffic control units providing services to general air traffic, their constituents and associated procedures.
3. This Regulation shall apply to all flights operating as general air traffic, within the airspace of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (‘ICAO’) EUR region where Member States are responsible for the provision of air traffic services in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 550/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council (6).

EGTK Oxford

@what_next: I understood there is a requirement for radio in class E from 5000’ upwards? Or what is it that changes above 5000 AMSL? And even if a transponder is not really mandatory, I have happened to have some trouble to convince Langen Information that I was flying without one. Perhaps wiser to not call them at all.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

“where Member States are responsible for the provision of air traffic services in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 550/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council (6).” = CAS?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

e.g. de facto in the Netherlands (Dutch Military is the controlling unit for a big chunk of it).

Only for IFR – the VFR frequency remains 132.350 for the time being

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message