Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

bookworm wrote:

I’d be surprised if the Climax (offset carrier) frequencies like London Info move to 8.33 by 2017, but I may be wrong.

Perhaps not by 2017 but (from Article 6):

10. Member States shall ensure that, by 31 December 2018 at the latest, all frequency assignments are converted to 8,33 kHz channel spacing with the exception of:
(a) frequency assignments that stay in 25 kHz as a result of a safety requirement;
(b) 25 kHz frequency assignments used to accommodate State aircraft.

OTOH who knows what the relationship with the UK will be in 2018.

PS: It seems I’m not fully awake yet. Those are outside the scope as per 4.(b) of Article 2. Question is whether 5. applies to them or just to those in 4.(a).

Last Edited by Martin at 01 Aug 08:20

Martin wrote:

Those are outside the scope as per 4.(b) of Article 2. Question is whether 5. applies to them or just to those in 4.(a).

Ah now that you say it… no wait. Are we supposed to know these by heart, or am I the only one who doesn’t understand what is written there?

Martin wrote:

In the end, 121.5 might be the only one relevant to light GA.

Certainly the UK CAA has talked about keeping the gliding frequencies on 25kHz assignments (e.g. 130.1) and I presume safetycom will remain on 25kHz too.

Andreas IOM

8.33/25 hardware/software/ user-interface implementation specific posts have been moved here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

TKM Michel are developing 8.33 spacing

Hello all

I am new to the forum but have a great interest in Avionics. I have an IFR rated Archer 181 and also a decent JPI Engine Monitor and Power Flarm which (contrary to a comment in this forum) is constantly detecting traffic and works well.

I am holding back on 8.33Khz spacing to the bitter end and I am dubious about the Garmin route as:-
(1) it puts all my eggs into one basket – my plane lives outside – what happens in 10 years when the electronics get damp?
(2) a friend put in a Garmin 430 and he says it is less sensitive on receive than his old Michel/TKM radios which he still uses as box 2 – he also only uses this a radio as his I-pad is better for Nav than the Garmin
(3) I am not happy about the idea of touchscreens in Turbulence

I have two TKM/Michel MX170C’s which work well and have never missed a beat in 3 years (I know they had issues with the integrated circuits being shaken out of the IC sockets!) In case people don’t know, TKM/Michels slide into the old King Nav Comm trays so have no installation costs.

TKM have recently been sold and the new owners are developing a new 8.33 radio which will slide into the old King trays. I think I might forget the Garmin route and wait for some simpler TKM’s. My other idea is Trig are developing a simple Nav Comm but this will require a new tray and some wiring (which I am not adverse to). It is not about saving money – it is about simplicity – I fly using an I-pad BTW

See the email that I received from TKM below, hopefully this will give people another option in time

- Cheers – Archer-181

=================

Thanks for inquiring! We are currently developing a completely new box with a handful of new features. The radio that is being engineered right now is meant to be a direct slide-in replacement for the KX-155/165. Once we have the design TSO’d, it should be fairly quick and easy to apply the same design to our existing product line—and that is when the 8.33 KHz channel spacing requirement will be met on our most popular radios.

Unfortunately, I’m not certain of any dates. This radio should be prototyped by the end of 2016 and ready for market sometime in summer 2017, barring any obstacles. That would then leave us with the task of applying the existing design to the other models, which hopefully would be a quick and seamless process.

Serving Europe once again would be great for business and is definitely something we see in the future. We get inquiries regarding the channel spacing all the time, just know we’re working tirelessly to get back out there.

*Thank you

United Kingdom

Garmin also do straightforward COM and NAVCOM radios (GTR 225A and GTN 225A). My aircraft has a single radio fitted and it’s the GTR 225A. It is not touch screen (it’s a straightforward COM radio, controlled like any other with knobs).

Your electronics damp problem will happen regardless of what brand radios you have!

So far I’ve found the GTR 225A to be an excellent radio, decent audio quality (both Tx and Rx) so if you’re considering a straightforward COM or NAVCOM don’t write Garmin off.

However, if I were in your shoes and there was a simple plug-in replacement, it’s what I’d do rather than have to re-wire everything.

Andreas IOM

Our fleet of IFR training aircraft are equipped with GNS430 units for as long as I can remember. They are parked outside all year round. That doesn’t seem to bother the Garmins at all. The primitive electrics (alternators, ignition, relays, generators) suffer much more from moisture…

EDDS - Stuttgart

TKM’s letter is interesting insofar as not even many airplane owners but also the industry just ignored the deadline set for the switch to 8.33 khz radios. If the TKM radio is out in summer 2017 then only a few months remain, seems a bit late to me.

LSZG

I think most people ignored the deadline because they have a habit of not coming true.

However in the UK I’m not so sure as it appears that 8.33 frequency’s are starting to be rolled out for vfr operations.

It also seems some of the manufacturers are leaving it a bit late. The trig TY96 has only just come to market. Their nav/com is vaporware and if TKM can’t even give a date before the middle of next year it doesn’t give much choice for consumer’s

I have just been reviewing the old question of how many radios have to be 8.33, and the best references I can find is that the answer is ONE.

That seems to go back about 3 years – Article 2 (5). For example here

(One day I will merge the various 8.33 threads but it is too much work for me right now)

Is that correct?

I got one 8.33 frequency on London Control yesterday – 131.130.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message