Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

RobertL18C wrote:

Has anyone managed to file a claim for the subsidy from the U.K. CAA, a pirep on this would be helpful. Is there a form?

CAA have published CAP1510 on how to claim

Last Edited by 351Windsor at 29 Jan 15:57

Is there such a thing as a table/list on how the different European countries treats the 8,33 transition? I’m especially looking for details on Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany. Total 25 kHz ban? 25 kHz allowed in G airspace? 25 kHz allowed below xx feet?

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

NorFlyer wrote:

I’m especially looking for details on Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Germany.

You can read about Norway here. Nothing will change until January 1 2026. Sweden and Denmark will have similar exceptions, but exactly what/how, who knows? 8.33 and 25 kHz is already mixed for higher airspaces in Norway with no known or reported unwanted effects.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What have I missed?
As I understand, an 8.33 radio effectively contains a 25 khz radio(with 25 khz selectivity), and an 8.33 radio operating on the freqs in between and the 25 khz freqs with 8.33 selectivity( being selected by inputting a slightly different number, I.e. 130.005 gives 130.00 with 8.33 selectivity…..This is not as many seem to believe/understand.
Given that we do NOT choose the frequency to use, if asked to contact 130.00 what is different about doing that on my 8.33 as opposed to my “old” 25khz?
And therefore why are the CAA saying we mustn’t use “old” 25khz after the deadline…..They do just the same if given a 25 khz Freq.?

Last Edited by PeteD at 12 Feb 12:45
EGNS, Other

PeteD wrote:

Given that we do NOT choose the frequency to use, if asked to contact 130.00 what is different about doing that on my 8.33 as opposed to my “old” 25khz?

Nothing, your 8.33 kHz radio is working in backwards compatible 25 kHz mode when you do that.

PeteD wrote:

And therefore why are the CAA saying we mustn’t use “old” 25khz after the deadline…..They do just the same if given a 25 khz Freq.?

They have to convert the IFR frequencies in some countries now, as the deadline for IFR has passed. When the deadline for VFR is also passed, they can issue 8,33 kHz channels / frequencies to ground station accessable to VFR fliers as well. This is mandatory from EU regulation for a certain number of frequencies. So the 130.00 would likely become 130.005 to make space for additional frequencies.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

What actual frequency is 130.005?

And what precisely does the conversion involve?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Jesse, that’s how I understand it, but I don’t see why you are not allowed to use your 25khz radio for 25 khz freqs when given such freqs.

The implication from the CAA website is that it would cause all manner of problems, which as agreed, simply isn’t true…..is it the CAA who don’t understand the “backwards compatible 25 kHz mode” of 8.33 radios?

As you say, at some stage 130.00 may become 130.005, which of course you can’t select on a 25khz,(when you really will need 8.33) but until that time?

Certainly, there will be a lot of 25khz freqs in use for some time….

Last Edited by PeteD at 12 Feb 13:28
EGNS, Other

Peter wrote:

What actual frequency is 130.005?

And what precisely does the conversion involve?

130.005 (channel) is actually 130.000 freq with 8.33khz selectivity(so that you can now use the next 8.33 freq without interference, as I understand.)

So you need an 8.33 radio to select 130.005, the use of 130.00 would be withdrawn in that area to enable the 8.33 freqs to be used.

Last Edited by PeteD at 12 Feb 13:39
EGNS, Other

PeteD wrote:

As you say, at some stage 130.00 may become 130.005, which of course you can’t select on a 25khz,(when you really will need 8.33) but until that time?

That is for the deadline, first the aircraft have to be converted, else you can not use your radio anymore. For example this is partly true in the Netherlands, and some other countries as well. CTR’s etc are allready converted, because they mainly handle IFR traffic, for which the deadline is allready passed. So now with VFR flight you might be limited, being unable to use the correct frequency.

So from 2018 frequencies for VFR will also have to be changed, and your aircraft should be ready for it, if you whish to continue to use radio.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

We did the “8.33-25kHz interference” stuff here

There is little or no evidence that transmitting with a 25kHz radio on an “8.33” channel which is actually a 25kHz frequency e.g. 130.000 does any harm. The transmission is exactly the same as it would be with an 8.33 radio e.g. the modulation depth is the same.

The issue is theoretical and centred around the frequency accuracy and stability, which should not be a problem unless the 25kHz radio is a crappy one. So… behind this 8.33 move is probably also a secondary move to sweep out a lot of old junk.

There is a potential issue with reception where a transmission on e.g. 130.0083333 MHz may break through on 130.000MHz, due to the lower selectivity of the 25kHz radio when in receive mode, but the specs posted in the above linked thread make this very unlikely unless the radio transmitting on 130.0083333 is pretty shagged…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message