Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Latest on 8.33 requirements (merged)

The 8.33 grant / subsidy thread is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

suggests to me what everybody will ignore it till Dec 30 2025 and then there will be a civil war and a compromise will be reached e.g. the deadline will move to 2030 but there will be no need for VFR

The fact is that 8.33 is a solution to a problem we do not have, and never will have. This is from Eurocontrol and shows the available frequencies in Europe. Black means 0 (if that is due to poor planning or if it’s unavoidable, I don’t know). In Norway, 8.33 and 25 kHz have communicated together, on the same frequencies, since 2012 with no problems. There are no vertical separation of frequencies in Norway, and above FL195, 8.33 kHz separation radios have been mandatory since 2012.

The “fleet” of GA airplane is still slowly changed to 8.33, and during the next 9 years, the majority will gradually have 8.33 radios. I think the problem (or non-problem) will solve itself for the most part. Just think about the market for used airplanes. A GA airplane confined to Norwegian airspace only will not be easy to sell without a large discount. By 2025, the majority will have 8.33 radios, and the airspace will be 8.33 kHz separation requirement (officially). But since using 25 kHz and 8.33 kHz separation radios causes no problem, it could be that 25 kHz radios will be allowed below FL195 for all future, because only 25 kHz frequencies will be used. On the other hand, LT could also say the 8.33 kHz separation is absolute from 2025 (which I think they will do, if for no other reason than to force all old and bad radios out of the airspace).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The fact is that 8.33 is a solution to a problem we do not have, and never will have

Sure, everybody knows this, which is why the EU paying the subsidy is such a laugh…

Administrator

This afternoon we flew VFR near EHWO . I wanted to monitor but could not dial their frequency 120.430. This is the first time I come across that so now I changed our g1000 com setup to 8.33… It takes three times more dial rotations to select frequencies now, but well..

Jean
EBST, Belgium

You could have tuned 124,425 and have perfect communication. As long as they don’t assign the nearby “8,33 only” frequencies, but it seems they are avoiding this for the time being.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

What actual frequency is “120.43”?

Administrator

Channel 120.430 = 120.425 MHz

EGTT, The London FIR

I don’t think @Peter really needed to ask if only because this has been amply discussed.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

You could have tuned 124,425 and have perfect communication. As long as they don’t assign the nearby “8,33 only” frequencies, but it seems they are avoiding this for the time being.

This sort of practice is the only justification the authorities have banning 25kHz radios and insist on removal. Please don’t do that unless it is an emergency.

Biggin Hill

120.43 is 120.4250 – see here

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message