Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting, and LED replacement bulbs now on CS-STAN issue 4

EASA regs are UK law, under the Withdrawal Act. After 31/12/2020 the UK is able to diverge on selected parts but the UK CAA is doing very little of that, presumably because they want to do a treaty with EASA for mutual paperwork recognition, so they don’t want to do “good stuff” because it would be provocative

Lots of G-regs now have LED lamps.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman wrote:

Does this apply to G reg aircraft as well?

I’m sorry but I don’t know that; will have to pass that question to anyone more familiar with this.

Germany

Only issue 3.0 applies to G-reg aircraft as it was published before 31/12/2020.
Not seen any sign that there is a UK issue 4.0 planned.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

How did the G-regs install LED lamps?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

How did the G-regs install LED lamps?

Whenever they are FAA or EASA approved installation was always possible. But you had to have the installation signed off.

“New” is that the pilot/owner may release to service any self-installed LED bulb.

Germany

Peter wrote:

EASA regs are UK law, under the Withdrawal Act.

Even changes after New Year 2021?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

No, obviously.

“New” is that the pilot/owner may release to service any self-installed LED bulb.

What does this boil down to? You can buy a cheaper lamp?

I’d be careful, because all LED lamps of this type contain a switching power supply, which has a great potential for radiating stuff and affecting comms/nav.

Administrator

UdoR wrote:

It’s a pity that position lights are not (yet) available for standard change.

They are. The same standard change (CS-SC031c) applies to position lights and anti-collision lights as well as taxi and landing lights.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 May 13:29
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

applies to position lights and anti-collision lights

Sort of not. Look:

Quote Additionally, the following conditions apply:
— taxi and landing lights that are not combined with anti-collision lights or with position lights are
eligible for installation without an EASA Form 1;
— anti-collision lights and position lights for day VFR aircraft are eligible for installation without an
EASA Form 1; … /Quote

So I could install it, but the aircraft would be reduced to day VFR only. This means for me: not yet possible. For anyone only flying day VFR: yes, you can put these lights on.

Now, an interesting question would be: what if I was putting these lights on, whenever flying day VFR, what I’m doing most of the times anyhow. And whenever IFR is planned, I change bulbs. Or not.

Last Edited by UdoR at 04 May 13:46
Germany

Peter wrote:

What does this boil down to? You can buy a cheaper lamp?

You can buy cheaper lamps and / or you can sign it off yourself. So you can put in certified lamps but don’t need no release to service from no one but yourself.

Germany
Sign in to add your message