Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Led lighting, and LED replacement bulbs now on CS-STAN issue 4

I’ll hijack this thread because I’m looking into exchanging my lights with LEDs.

I came across these double-feature position/strobe lights, which are just replacement bulbs for old aircrafts. So you just exchange the bulb with these and not only do you have led position lighting but also strobe feature.

Sadly, they are not certified and it looks as if it was not yet possible to install these if you want to fly by night or IFR.

Does anybody know something similar but certified? To me the most attractive point is the ease of installation. No cabling. Nothing to change. And strobe is added.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

Now, an interesting question would be: what if I was putting these lights on, whenever flying day VFR, what I’m doing most of the times anyhow. And whenever IFR is planned, I change bulbs. Or not.

Not very difficult to answer. As with almost everything in aviation: Nobody cares until somebody does.

As you live in Germany, I’d assume that if somebody finds out that you do this, you are likely to get prosecuted for the crime of flying with an airplane that is not airworthy – even if they can not prove that you ever have actually flown IFR with these bulbs. They will try to catch you on the fact that you do not have a placard “DAY VFR ONLY” on your panel and that the lack of this placard renders your plane “unairworthy”.

More seriously: It is the same as using a part that has no Form 1 even if such is required. Hard to find out and unlikely that one does – but if they do you are in trouble.

Germany

I can see a flood of aircraft owners buying and fitting cheap Chinese tractor lights and wondering why the light falls to the floor ten feet in front of the aircraft.

Has anybody had any success with CE marked bulbs?

What do you mean actually by CE marked bulbs? Ask @Peter about the CE mark it’s got nothing to do with aviation purpose or not.

Germany

Well, post-Brexit, it should be the UKCA mark instead of CE.

Equally meaningless though

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

CE means absolutely minus nothing.

The procedure (for those 0.001% who bother with it, and that does not include the chinese, obviously) is that you identify your market sector (and there is a lot of what we call “latitude”) and look up the applicable standards for that. Then, CE indicates compliance with those. I can’t remember whether it indicates compliance with the other bollox like ROHS (basically lead-free soldering, which works by greatly reducing the quality of solder joints, hence the military are exempted and so was medical gear until IIRC very recently).

Whoever thought CE is at all relevant to aviation installations needs their head examined.

I think there are some existing approvals. @wigglyamp or @A_and_C will know the details. They will likely be for the current GA products so a few hundred quid. What I suspect people are looking for when referencing “CE” is something much cheaper, from amazon etc. Funny thing is that the GA products I installed are not CE marked because they are made in the US (read: china) Main LED light thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@UdoR I just stumbled on this thread as I am currently researching LED position lights. I hope my answer does not come too late… (after more than a year)

I know of the JPC Aviation ones: https://www.jpcaviation.com/web/images/produits/pdf/6491311_ICD.pdf

They have the same form factor as the ones you mention and should be easy to install. They do not have a strobe feature, though.

Last year I replaced the landing light of my Robin by JPC LEDs when the light bulb died. I received good technical advice and customer support from them. Now I am thinking about replacing the position lights (and possibly the strobe) too, but have not yet decided on a specific model. I tend toward the JPC.

Last Edited by etn at 20 Jul 18:34
etn
EDQN, Germany

Aero-Lites LEDs

Has anybody tried out these LED Navigation Light replacements?
I realize they´re not PMA or STC´d. It´s somewhat annoying that this type of improvement is not allowed on EASA certified aircraft (part-CAO, part-CAMO), since most of us would probably be likely to use them even at VMC daytime.
Are we allowed to install none STC´d Nav lights if they´re NOT used for NIGHT VFR (or IFR)? I assume the answer is NO for ANY (none STC´d) Nav lights.

https://www.aero-lites.com/product-page/navmax-pro-series

Secondly, has anybody tried the same brand landing and/or taxi lights?

https://www.aero-lites.com/product-page/ultra-x-spot

I don´t see any European distributor or sales shop for these (seems to be sales strategy) so they´d need to be shipped and imported, but comparing to AeroLeds or Wheelen they´re significantly cheaper, and my airplane is not currently night certified anyways.

Last Edited by Yeager at 26 Apr 10:03
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

It´s somewhat annoying that this type of improvement is not allowed on EASA certified aircraft (part-CAO, part-CAMO), since most of us would probably be likely to use them even at VMC daytime.
Are we allowed to install none STC´d Nav lights if they´re NOT used for NIGHT VFR (or IFR)? I assume the answer is NO for ANY (none STC´d) Nav lights.

It is allowed by Standard Change CS-SC031c. No PMA or STC required. The lights do need to be (E)TSO’d unless the aircraft is day VFR. For day VFR you don’t even need a Form 1.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message