Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Firewall sound insulation Socata / etc (merged)

Are you sure those “latex” gloves are actual Nitrile gloves? It has to be Nitrile. Latex or rubber or anything else will dissolve fairly quick. Also, I only use acetone for stuff like that. Acetone is less toxic. but do the same job for most parts. MEK can attack the central nervous system, there are no such results for acetone. Acetone is what women use to remove nail paint.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

According to this [ local copy ] Nitrile gloves have no resistance to MEK.

Latex (a.k.a. natural rubber) gloves – example – should be OK for a while – about 5 minutes!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can report that the Scotch-Weld glue above did not work at all on the foam in the top post. If used in the usual way i.e. the glue is applied to the smooth side of the foam, it comes right off.

So we are going to try

• gluing the rough side of the foam
  • using the AF-178 glue (contains toluene; I don’t fancy using that in the rear compartment, even with a £150 mask with active filters)
Administrator

I can report that natural rubber gloves withstand MEK just fine and for a lot longer than a few minutes.

My £150 full face mask (with proper solvent filters, brand new) worked well too.

The Scotch-Weld glue was also found to work OK but two coats of it are needed on the foam, due to absorption.

Removing the remains of the crappy Socata firewall foam is an absolute bastard of a job and I can see why almost nobody does it, and most TBs fly with bits of the original foam hanging off the firewall. MEK softens it OK but it needs a mechanical means of scraping it off and you don’t want to use something hard because you will damage the galvanising on the firewall and start corrosion.

Administrator

Use a hard plastic scraper.

Forever learning
EGTB

Peter wrote:

because you will damage the galvanising on the firewall and start corrosion

Odd that it is galvanized and not stainless. In any case, galvanization protects the steel by galvanic protection (obviously), the voltage difference between materials. If you cover the outer layer, you have destroyed the protection. But, another thing with galvanic protection, it protects also when there are cracks and holes in the galvanic layer. If you think about it, that is the only time it will protect, because only then is the voltage difference exposed. Also, corrosion requires an electrolyte (water normally, with some salts) + oxygen from the air + a voltage potential between corroding materials (that could be the same material, only with different exposure to air/water).

Galvanizing is good because you can drill holes in the plate without the plate corroding. A painted plate will start corroding once the metal is exposed by a hole or crack in the paint.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Firewall foam done. SX-500 firewall certified foam and the AF-178 glue.

Administrator

I have the cardboard templates available for a loan

Someone I am talking to may buy from me the spare SX-500 firewall foam otherwise it will be for sale.

But I also have for sale a complete roll of this stuff complete with the Spruce delivery note evidencing where it came from. No EASA-1 or 8130-3 of course… I used the Scotch glue with that foam, very successfully.

Administrator

My £150 full face mask (with proper solvent filters, brand new) worked well too.

What is your mask Peter?
Thanks

LFPE

That is a particulate mask. You then need to get the right sort of vapour filters for it and I used these.

But IMHO you don’t need this sort of thing unless working in a confined space. If doing this in say a hangar, one of these will do.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message