Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portable traffic detection

What would be even better would be a BT connection to enable PF targets to be overlaid on SkyDemon (or other moving map app) on a tablet….

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

What would be even better would be a BT connection to enable PF targets to be overlaid on SkyDemon (or other moving map app) on a tablet….

It can be done already in PocketFMS (Windows & Windows CE)…..and very very shortly in EasyVFR (iOS, Android, Windows) as well. But it’s shared via wifi, not Bluetooth.

The only downside to the PowerFlarm is that it doesn’t show direction for mode A, C & S targets, just distance. For me at least, 95%+ of the targets that I’m likely to come close to will be squawking mode C and I’d really like some indication of the direction (especially as that can be overlaid on my map, rather than just a circle).

The only unit that did that that I know of was the more expensive Zaon unit, but they have now gone out of business unfortunately.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 19 Jun 22:14
EIWT Weston, Ireland

The Trigg TT31 can, if connected with a compatible GPS, in my case a GNS430. Quite a few S transponders are capable of that and those which are should be connected.

Do you happen to know what NIC and NACp values your installation transmits?

And how did you show compliance to AMC 20-24 ? I’m asking because every avionics person I asked said that while connecting the two wires from the GPS to the transponder is simple, the paperwork would be well into 4 figures.

(NPA 2012-19 mainly calls for ETSO 166b compliance, but AFAIK it isn’t law yet. And the Trig TT31 and the Garmins apparently are the only GA transponder with 166b certification, so lucky you chose the Trig)

LSZK, Switzerland

It’s likely an older TT-31 installation. Most older mode S transponder installations where completed before EASA was ready with ADS-B for light aircraft. This is why you can find a lot of older installations hooked up to the existing GPS. It was easily approved at that time.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The direction sense of these Zaon and similair systems are quite low. It’s more like within a quadrant. Still better then no sense. I didn’t like the projecting of the Zaon because of that, some people tend to fly on it when they can’t get them visual while the Zaon can be off quite a lot. Same with range, as range is signal strength related, while the poweroutput of transponders are different.

In that respect, both Flarm and ADS-B are far superior.

Last Edited by Jesse at 20 Jun 18:36
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Hi all,

I recently joined a club, so I’ll be flying different planes where I can’t just make an investment in terms of avionics. I guess Powerflarm is my only option then, but I think I’m not quite sure how it actually works and especially how it compares to the TAS some of you have installed – so also whether the investment is actually justified. I know 2,500 is not a lot for avionics, but as a post grad. In the aviation industry I’m happy enough to be able to keep myself flying :)

So here’s an easy one: what can a TAS that Powerflarm can’t? When it comes to ordinary GA planes with the usual Mode-A/C/S transponders – can a TAS show direction and position, while a PF can’t?

EDAV, Germany

Yes TAS will show direction and distance, direction quite accurate and distance very accurate, much better then Zaon unit, the price tag between an active system like TAS and GTS and passive systems is quite huge. ADS-B or Flarm will be even better when both have this system.

If you are on a tight budget you might consider finding a second hand Zaon PCAS XRX, which does give some sense of direction as bonus to other passive systems which only give distance.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Didn’t know the Zaon until now, thanks for that. I guess this one won’t spot gliders then, I guess?

Allow me one more question: How does a TAS convert a transponder signal into a direction? Does it have separate antennas to measure reception time differences?

EDAV, Germany

Andi wrote:

Does it have separate antennas to measure reception time differences?

Different antennas yes (within the same enclosure), but in all likelihood not time of arrival (the antennae are too close for that), but angle of arrival.

LSZK, Switzerland

Both Zaon and PF seem far from perfect, especially compared to a proper TAS. But looking ahead, the PF somehow feels like a better choice because there is still the chance for future development in this area, as in ADS B coverage, as well as growing no of Flarm users.

EDAV, Germany
Sign in to add your message