Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B - what practical relevance in Europe?

Peter wrote:

uncertified ADS-B” (the “portable” systems e.g. Skyecho)

To make things even more confusing, the CAA then up-issued CAP1391 to say that SIL=1 can be used if justified (which is the case of SkyEcho) Still a lot of “uncertified” ADS-B out around where transponders have been linked to cheap GPS.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

But let me argue for a moment that ADS-B Out is more valuable.

I agree completely. I wonder what the math looks like to avoid even one collision. Assuming the Swedish number of about 2.5 million euro for a human life, and most airborne collisions will kill a minimum of two people, a collision costs society at least 5 million Euro.

Assuming 5k Euros to purchase and install an ADS-B out (I know this is a high number), then one accident would have paid for 1000 aircraft to be outfitted.

Sure seems worth it to me.

Like @Dan, I see more and more ADS-B out traffic, which is great. Always shocking when I see an aircraft that’s relatively modern, like a DA-42, but it does not have either ADS-B out or FLARM. I came about 200 meters from one belonging to a local flight school a few weeks ago. It was not comfortable.

Last Edited by eurogaguest1980 at 19 Dec 13:48
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

For reference I paid just under 2k for upgrade from 330, to 330ES using existing GNS430 as Certified GPS for ADSB-out including the avionics charges and paperwork etc.
I thought it was a good deal since I not only have to protect myself as much a possible but often, friends and family.
It’s not perfect but it’s what I can afford right now.

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

2k for upgrade from 330, to 330ES

I contemplated this also, however installing a GPS175 plus 330 ES upgrade puts you in the GNX375 waters with additional benefits.

EBST

However the G3X isn’t a TSO’d product and neither is the GDL50R – both are PMA and approved under STC.

We did that here but how broad is the STC, if there is no TSO? IIRC this stuff was done mostly under TC approval, for specific aircraft types.

But let me argue for a moment that ADS-B Out is more valuable.

I agree, because you then become visible to both certified and uncertified ADS-B IN.

What % of GA will see you? I don’t know. Maybe 25%?

and estimated range for mode A, C & S (but not direction).

That IMHO is barely worth looking at (because planes are really hard to spot even when you know roughly where they are) unless your avoidance plan is just a level change (as in TCAS 2 – airliners – although when the sh*it hits the fan they also do turns, contrary to SOP). But a level change can make you bust CAS, so unless you are recording the data, the CAA will bust you for it.

Still a lot of “uncertified” ADS-B out around where transponders have been linked to cheap GPS.

I don’t think the TXP will radiate the ADS-B OUT signal then. The “WAAS”/SBAS GPS data stream is proprietary and won’t come out of a GNS430, KLN94, etc. Its ARINC429 version is open

using existing GNS430 as Certified GPS

Doesn’t it have to be a 430W?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Doesn’t it have to be a 430W?

Yes, I believe you are correct, it’s what I have, and why I did it, but forgot to type the ‘w’ in my post.

United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Still a lot of “uncertified” ADS-B out around where transponders have been linked to cheap GPS.

I don’t think the TXP will radiate the ADS-B OUT signal then. The “WAAS”/SBAS GPS data stream is proprietary and won’t come out of a GNS430, KLN94, etc. Its ARINC429 version is open

You can wire transponders like Trig TT21/22 or TQ KTX2 to a NMEA GPS stream coming from a off the shelf non-aviation GPS like the one in Pilot Aware or old fashion handeld garmin or your phone (via bluetooth) and these transponders will output SIL=0 ADS-B

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

OK that makes sense. Trig are quite clever.

That emission will still not be visible to certified ADS-B systems…

I wonder what would happen if somebody did a firmware mod which outputs SIL=3 I mean, once you have the GPS data, any GPS data, you can just do it. The need for a W GPS is bogus; you get more integrity but no more accuracy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Update:
The GTX345 that I was being offered via Bookface was from a scammer. Seems a pilot in Alaska has had his ID stolen and the scammers have cloned his facebook profile.
They had his pilot’s licence which includes an address which, after a little digging, revealed the issue.
Be careful out there and Merry Christmas!

Forever learning
EGTB

This is likely an outlier in overall European terms, and specific to Switzerland, but it demonstrates how governments focus on the little guy (GA) and ignore obvious simple and inexpensive actions that could improve risks dramatically.

Sorry that it‘s in German only. In a nutshell 2x Swiss military FA-18 on a training flight travelling at >430kts came within 100m horizontally and 15m vertically of a Mooney travelling at 160kt and nearing a VFR airfield (LSPV) VFR on the border between G/E airspace at about 2000’ AGL. The Mooney had an S-transponder (wo ADS-B out) and PowerFlarm, but Swiss military don‘t have either. The Mooney had no chance to see the FA-18s electronically. I know the instructor who was in the Mooney and he now celebrates his birthday twice a year.

@Peter, I think you‘ve missed the point of the uAvionix blog article. With wide deployment of drones on the horizon, uAvionix is promoting any solution that can be implemented affordably for all airspace users. uAvionix are the masters of miniaturization, a prereq for such a solution wrt space, weight, and electrical reqt. I am currently installing a tailBeaconX ADS-B Out in my aircraft. The box is hardly larger than a matchbox, and overall it’s about the size of an ADL (45×110×110mm) and weighs <100g. Current draw is max 0.5A @ 14V. Not portable, but certainly negligeable from a W&B perspective. I expect uAvionix to be able to provide an ADS-B Out device for drones soon, which would then also work for anything else that flies … ULM, etc.

I see ADS-B Out becoming more common in certified aircraft as more options for refitting/enhancing installed transponder installations, especially in some European countries where S-transponders are now the norm.

HB_DIH_vs_Hornets_SB_D_pdf

Last Edited by chflyer at 20 Dec 09:27
LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message