Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFD540 or GTN750 - any way to display video, or free format text?

(above link cleaned-up)

I looked at that camera. It sounds like it is not an IR camera but an image intensifier and probably Gen 2. Gen 3 are strictly export controlled, even 30 years after they first came out. I bought a Gen 3 tube many years ago (via an obscure route, for an experiment I was doing) and it had “1986” stamped on it…

I wonder what the image intensifier option in an SR22 is. If it is Gen 3 they “should” have big issues selling the plane to many countries. In fact just about all countries… it’s ITAR controlled. Even in the UK a Gen 3 scope is illegal to import except for police etc usage.

But Gen 2 scopes aren’t much good… they need a night with a decent amount of moonlight. Gen 3 needs starlight only, or less.

For IR vision (which I believe the SR22 option uses also) you need a deep-IR sensor. That’s a different device.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have indeed heard back from Steve Jacobsen who very helpfully sent a fair bit of detail.

The long and short of it is that an IFD540 can be factory modded (at some additional cost) to have NTSC video input, which is then digitised and displayed on a 320×240 screen area. So the result would be similar to the KMD550’s 320×240 capability, as shown in the top post in this thread, though I would jolly well hope the quality would be better, after all those years! The KMD550’s LCD itself is only 320×240 so mapping 525-line NTSC video onto that is bound to produce a poor result.

There may be other, direct digital, methods but I am waiting to hear.

Administrator

FWIW, you can now get VGA (640×480) IR cameras (google for FLIR Boson) and they are not export controlled at 9fps and with no real controls for the 60fps version.

This thread touches on some of the topics above.

If anyone is interested in having a go at displaying Golze ADL data on a GTN750 or IFD540, I would be interested in working on it as a co-operative project.

Administrator

As an update, the ADL data can now be displayed on Avidyne IFD boxes but not on Garmin GTN o GNS boxes.

Administrator

Whilst the Garmin GTN navigators don’t support a video input, the G500TXi PFD/MFD does – we’ve have a VGA camera input running successfully for one project.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

Whilst the Garmin GTN navigators don’t support a video input, the G500TXi PFD/MFD does – we’ve have a VGA camera input running successfully for one project.

Yes I think even the classic G500/600 support this. But Garmin seems to require an unlock card number 010-00769-61 which seems to be 1,5k USD so for a weather solution this seems not to be the best solution. But for some special applications it might be a great feature. For example aircraft manufacturers could integrate a small camera showing the gear so we can check in case of gear extension problems…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message