Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne 10.2 now certified.

This is a huge deal for the Avidyne crowd, and the users have been waiting a long, long time for it. Avidyne, in hindsight, probably should not have announced it as early as they did and then have to wait on FAA approval for a year..

It unlocks Synthetic Vision on the IFD family. It also means the IFD100 remote iPad “virtual” panel is now a reality. 3D traffic, Exocentric Vision and numerous other features. For me personally, it’s great because it unlocks my radar capability and makes it able to display the radar image as an overlay on either the IFD540 of the IFD100.

Avidyne still very small compared to the king Garmin, but it’s good to have another, albeit tiny, player in the field.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 06 Mar 21:48

US AOPA article here

What I find every so slightly funny is that they are now supporting RS-170 which is NTSC video which goes back decades and enables them to take in video (quite low resolution) from cameras and older radars. Post #1 here was exactly on this topic.

I imagine a lot of KMD550/850 owners were holding onto their boxes because of this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Administrator

Years ago somebody told me that NTSC stood for Never the Same Colour!

United Kingdom

My IFD540 has just been changed to 10.2

The IFD100 App is not available from the App Store yet, so the wifi capability cannot be used.

All my other units now receive data or send it to the IFD, such as, Transponder for ADS-B out, Golze 110B for Flight Plan route, Engine Analyser for position data to calculate range/time and the ELT also transmits GPS data.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Colin wrote:

Golze 110B for Flight Plan route

Colin, so the IFD540 is providing the FPL to the 110B via wifi? How would that work with the ADL140 … transfer to ADLConnect on the ipad?

Peter wrote:

What I find every so slightly funny is that they are now supporting RS-170 which is NTSC video which goes back decades and enables them to take in video (quite low resolution) from cameras and older radars.

It may be quaint, Peter, but the FLIR thermal cameras still output on RS-170. It is a factory option on the Cirrus. Having a thermal/visual image on the IFD540 during final approach on a cloudy night could be of interest to the odd English pilot, don’t you think? Although the price has apparently come down some since the video was made, it still isn’t for everyone’s budget.
Max-Viz FLIR

LSZK, Switzerland

I wasn’t suggesting it is bad What was funny to me is how the market speaks. The latest stuff is not always what people actually want. NTSC video is hardly great quality (but then neither are the “cheap” FLIR cameras used on the SR22 etc) but it is a totally versatile simple interface which always works, with no compatibility issues.

Yes I am sure it is useful. I know an SR22 pilot who told me he flies zero-zero approaches with his kit, into grass strips.

Administrator

chflyer wrote:

Colin, so the IFD540 is providing the FPL to the 110B via wifi? How would that work with the ADL140 … transfer to ADLConnect on the ipad?

Not quite. The FPL info is provided over RS232 (Channel 3 on mine) direct to the 110B. If the FPL data does not appear straight away you just press the ‘FPL IN’ button on the 110B.
Earlier software versions only allowed data transmission over 1 of the 6 channels available in the IFD540. The 10.2 software allows all 6 channels of RS232 to be used simultaneously and independently.
When my IFD540 was installed it was wired up with the 10.2 release in mind. This meant that prior to 10.2 (see photo) only 1 unit (I could set which one it was) would receive the data.

EGLK, United Kingdom

New software update coming in March. A lot of good utility and perhaps the most useful – Garmin G5 support and fuel totalizer input.

1. Adds GLAS (GPS Legacy Avionics Support) for support of Proline 21 in CJ and King Air

2. Adds improved ADS-B Weather and Traffic integration with
Foreflight

3. Adds ADS-B textual TFRs, AIRMETS and SIGMETS.

4. Adds support for Garmin G5 HSI

5. Adds support for Lynx NGT-9000 Remote Transponder

6. Adds a new zoom mode which provides the ability to display large datablocks and button label text

7. Adds support for both Heads-Up Technologies XMD-076A datalink and GDL 69A SXM

8. Allows for display of datablocks on the SVS pages

9. Improves display and editing features of Airways SIDS and STARS and approaches

10. Adds fuel totalizer function when connected to a remote fuel computer

11. Improved Wi-Fi configuration to ease integration with Stratus, Foreflight and other Wi-Fi connected devices.

Why doesn’t Avidyne support RF Legs

Last Edited by Rob at 13 Feb 16:37
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message