Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ADS-B technology and compatibility (merged thread)

That point about sniffing is very good, but my Q is specifically about an ADS-B IN installation where no ADS-B OUT exists.

I can’t see how it can be done.

One possibility is that IF you are displaying the data on a device which is a GPS, say a GTN750, then that device would have the complete picture. It would also have to generate the warnings. But I don’t think that is how it works.

Other posts here state that you need a WAAS GPS feeding the 3D position to the TAS6xx.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think Peter for an ADS-B in traffic warning system that also shows Mode C traffic, the ADS traffic must be presented for conflict resolution purposes in the same way as mode C traffic ie with a pressure altitude. But position must be related to your own ship gps position. All of this is also needed to allow for avoidance of a mode C and ADSB target which are the same aircraft.

EGTK Oxford

I agree.

Is the GPS data stream documented?

Administrator

I would think the minimum required to use ADS-B In would be a 1090 MHz receiver that could decode the broadcasts and a GPS position source. ADS-B Out would not be a requirement. There are many portable receivers on the market today that do this. In a TAS system that processed both mode C and ADS-B broadcasts, it would have to merge the two sources and determine which is more accurate for display to avoid duplicates or ghosts.

KUZA, United States

I could also look at the TAS605 IM and see if there is a GPS connection :)

Administrator

Is it not on the 429 bus with your GPS navigator?

No, I have a kln94 currently.

It is probably possible to emulate a WAAS GPS data stream for the purpose of feeding a TAS605 however. Also, IIRC, Trig sell a W GPS for 300 odd quid which might do that.

Administrator

Although there is a protocol and label set (ARINC 743A) for ARINC 429 interface for a position source, it is not widely used in General Aviation to connect a position source to an ADS-B system. The main reason is that GPS systems do not have many ARINC 429 output ports, and in many cases only a single port, whereas it is common to have 4 or 5 serial ports. So serial ports are the preferred method adopted by avionics manufacturers. Garmin developed a proprietary protocol called ADS-B Out + using RS232, but has licensed its use to some manufacturers and others have reverse engineered it. The ADS-B position source provides for several parameters beyond the simple latitude and longitude so that the ADS-B system can determine integrity and accuracy. It also includes geometric altitude, velocities broken down into cardinal directions. Besides the data aspect, there are latency issues that must be complied with. The FAA has mandated that ADS-B Out systems must be paired with a position source and at least the first instance of such a pairing requires an STC. So source A may be compatible with ADS-B Out system X and Y and an STC for the pairing is issued. Source B has an STC that is paired with ADS-B Out system X but not Y, so even though X and Y use the same interface, and can share the same position source A, that does not permit Source B to connect to ADS-B system Y. Each and every unique pair must have an STC issued.

KUZA, United States

I am back home now and looking at the TAS6xx “A” installation manual. And I see this regarding a WAAS GPS input:

So it can take the W GPS via RS232 or ARINC429.

More of my time wasted by bogus information… not the first time on this equipment.

NCYankee – I did a google for the Garmin WAAS data stream and nothing turns up. It doesn’t look like anybody has published it…

You posted more interesting info here too.

IMHO for ADS-B IN one does not need any special accuracy on the GPS. The certification requirement is way over the top.

I wonder if the ARINC429 version of the WAAS GPS stream has been published?

Administrator

What are my options to get ADS-B in and out? Aircraft is fitted with GTX330, GTN530W, Avidyne TAS600 and Aspen 1000PRO?

EGBP Kemble, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message