Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L3 Lynx - active TAS and ADS-B traffic warning system

Thanks…

Good to know my guess was right, in both it being RG400 and in some avionics installer saying he can’t get it

I have a quantity left over from my TCAS job (the installer didn’t want to use it, so I bought 50m and free issued it to them) but what I have left won’t be enough for yours. I would be happy to sell some short length for €5/m.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I also have some cable left from the G5 WAAS antenna installation.

It is DR400 coaxial cable bought from LX Avionics, they said it’s the same thing. The G5 doesn’t show any error, however a second opinion about this would be appreciated. The cable itself is black with no inscriptions at all.

The issue with the NGT-9000 seem to be the extra 3 cables needed for the active antenna (The Sigma and Delta ports), that isn’t clear if can be replaced with RG400. One diagram says yes, another table (1-16) lists different cable types.

Last Edited by AlexTB20 at 24 Feb 14:09
LRIA, Romania

Hi,

L3 describes exactly what kind cables you may use for installation. The cable type depends the length you need, since the attenuation is playing important role for traffic detection. My installer strictly insisted to the proper cable, which is good. L3 is very supportive for answering our questions.Finally I have got cable, brought by myself from Chicago. the 30 ft cable was 514 USD+ the special connectors (6 TNC) The installation will take place soon.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Nice, will you use the same OBCW9 cable for all 3 connections of the active antenna? What was the recommended length?

Where do you intend to install the antenna, in front or behind the GPS ones?

Thank you for the info.

LRIA, Romania

S33141 has an impressive spec About half the loss of RG400. I found it further down in the Lynx IM (should have read it more carefully). This is very interesting. But 10x the cost of RG400.

BTW I read some random comment in the US about an early Lynx installation, which reported mounting difficulties on the panel mounted box. Apparently it needs additional rear support; this is not totally unusual with avionics. Something to watch out for. In the TB20, this can cause problems because the centre stack interior is inaccessible unless the whole centre stack module is extracted, a mounting in one of the tilting side panels precludes any rear support because then you can’t tilt them anymore (though I have seen one TB20 with a strut in the back supporting an instrument!), and anything mounted “down below” (e.g. where the transponder sits) is also very hard to access from the back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Today I enabled the Adpen to show traffic from the Lynx 9000+. That’s really
good, better than on the GTN750 because it is directly in sight.

EDDS , Germany

Can you enable traffic speed vectors on the Aspen ? I see they are visible on the display of the Lynx.

EBST, Belgium

@airways They will be enabled as soon as the traffic comes closer automatically. It’s the same with the depiction on the GTN750. Only on the Lynx 9000+ itself you get the vectors also if the other aircraft are in a greater distance.

EDDS , Germany

That is a pretty sweet combo then !

EBST, Belgium

Peter wrote:

Good to know my guess was right, in both it being RG400 and in some avionics installer saying he can’t get it

That’s a bit mindblowing. You can buy it from Farnell or RS, it’s not hard to get, and even though it’s more expensive than RG-58 or equivalent it’s still trivial compared to the cost of the rest of the installation – you’d kind of expect avionics installers just to buy 100m drums of the stuff. If you just need a short bit Mendelssohn’s sells it (at a rather exorbitant price, but still cheap compared to the rest of the installation).

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message