Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shadin ADC-200 air data computer, and what avionics will it drive?

Peter wrote:

I assume Avidyne aligned the IFD requirements with GNSx30 requirements – for obvious reasons. And since a GNS can accept ADC200 data, the IFD must also otherwise they could not sell it as a plug-compatible replacement.

Yes, they do. So in theory if the GNS can accept ADC200 data then the IFD should too. I’ll dig a bit more on the RS232 part.

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes, Peter, you’re right about the ADC200. Here are most (& the relevant ones for this discussion) RS232 input config options for the IFDs:

LSZK, Switzerland

@Peter: My GTN with the TAS1000 is configured as Airdata 1 – so there is a good chance that the IFD will work with the ADC as well.

@CHFlyer: No the G5 doesn‘t transmit TAS. The G5 doesn‘t have OAT so they can‘t compute it.
This is what the G5 provides via the GAD

Peter wrote:

Actually I wonder just how many GTN/IFD owners do have airdata?

I have airdata and hdg from the Aspen displayed both on the gtn750 and gns430 via a common rs232. The map view shows a wind arrow and speed number. It is possible you need a hdg input to display the wind.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

You definitely need heading from the compass system to get a wind vector.

There is also an option on the Garmin transponders to provide an OAT input.

Indeed, but it is very inaccurate (with errors reported up to 6C, and with no calibration procedure) and it doesn’t go anywhere other than the transponder’s LCD. The GTX330 for example has ARINC429 out but it carries only the pressure altitude. It’s always a missed opportunity to have a box with ARINC429 and not have it do a lot more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

and it doesn’t go anywhere

In our previous installation the GNS TAS page did use the GTX330’s OAT data. It also had a pot in the OAT probe circuit for calibration. This is not part of the IM so you need to get it approved separately as a minor change which should not be a problem since this is only advisory data.The later Aspen versions do have an electronic OAT calibration option.

Last Edited by Antonio at 05 Jan 08:19
Antonio
LESB, Spain

That must be a later GTX330 firmware. Interesting…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message