Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In what circumstances would one open up an engine purely on the basis of oil analysis data?

Interesting that all 3 above contain aluminium.

There was also the Superior replacement.

However, it seems clear that the dome surface of the plug cannot possibly produce a nice even wide scrape on the cylinder wall. The culprit is probably a piece of deposit which came off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A belated explanation: Lycoming had three different designs of piston pin plugs, made of two different materials:

For details, see SI 1267D.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 11 Jun 21:49
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

2nd aluminium spike, after a sample with no aluminium elevation

However, borescope images show a chunk of crap having come off the piston crown right at that spot so that may be it

Administrator

I am told my plugs were brass.

I dodged an expensive Lyco AD by the engine shop using Superior parts.

Administrator

Thanks for reminder about aluminum piston pin plugs in Lycomings, I’d forgotten. I’ve spent a lot more time working on engines with snap rings or circlips and no plugs.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Oct 13:54

Peter wrote:

the plug is aluminium

So do I. At least on engines I worked on, all were aluminum. But I’ve seen some made out of brass as well.
As for the pin working directly against the cylinder wall, that would be a totally worn plug. Or one, or both, plugs not installed when the cylinder was installed.

Last Edited by Dan at 11 Oct 07:58
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I think the plug is aluminium. The small end pin is of course steel.

I will ask the engine shop.

Administrator

A rubbing piston pin would leave a mark on the cylinder wall but it’s interesting to ponder how it might leave elevated aluminum levels in the oil, given that both pin and cylinder wall are steel. Perhaps the pieces of the piston?

W80 and Camguard.
Camguard uses calcium as a marker. I have this from its developer, Ed Kollin.
I have a borescope but I don’t know what that might show to point to the increased aluminium. I guess a rubbing piston plug may leave a mark on the cylinder wall?

Administrator

@Peter – what kind of oil do you use? I assume you don’t use camguard since your phosphorous numbers are so low. Do you have a borescope? If so, you might get some clues there, as Dan did.

Here is my most recent report on my Lyco-clone IO-360 – I’ve got a sample in the mail now, but it has not yet arrived to Blackstone.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message