Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

No it cant display the terminal charts.

EGTK Oxford

No problem running both apps together. On the way to Carcassonne I was running Sky Demon, Garmin Pilot and Jepp FD.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

From a value for money perspective have been pleased with easyVFR (from pocketFMS), which I run with an early iPad mini and bad elf lightning connector GPS. I also remain a fan of the veteran Garmin 196.

In the SC I use them when navigating some multi layered CA, and then let them rest as I revert to I Follow Roads etc

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I’ve played with GP recently, it’s missing two key features for me:
- graphical NOTAMS
- airspace frequencies: how do I find who I’m supposed to talk to? Means I need to look at my paper chart.

It’s a shame because I’d love to get a Flightstream210 and synvis with it, but I don’t really want to play with multiple software.

EGTF, LFTF

In Pilot the approach plates are geo-referenced to the extent that it allows you to see where you are on it, i.e. it works as a moving map. I’ve yet to find a fix that appears on an approach plate that isn’t in the database. For example, at LFMK Carcassonne there are several fixes for the GNSS approach MK402, MK404, MK406 etc. These are all present in the database because they’re displayed on the moving map. So it seems perhaps they’re just lacking the sequence information which would allow approach waypoints to be loaded into the route.

Some of Garmin’s portable devices, like the 696 and 796 operate Garmin’s ChartView service, which allows you to use Jepp plates. The Pilot application doesn’t.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

No it cant display the terminal charts.

Garmin Pilot can’t display terminal charts?

I may be going stupid but when I search the android app store for “garmin pilot” I get this

I’d like to start with the Safetaxi database. That to me is the most immediately useful of all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Garmin Pilot can’t display terminal charts?

It can’t display JEPP terminal charts, which was what you mentioned in your question.

Safetaxi is fine, but I’m not sure you can buy just those (£20) without a basic subscription to the Pilot software (£120).

Administrator

That’s fine but it appears to be IOS-only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Appears how? It’s listed on the Google Play store and says “Features include: ….Optional geo-reference Garmin FliteCharts® and Garmin SafeTaxi® show aircraft position on approach charts and taxiways”

Administrator

Not over here (Poland) it isn’t (listed in the Play store). Back in Feb 2016 Garmin support stated an European Android version was in the works, but no ETA available. iOS is available, no issue there.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
Sign in to add your message