Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen - equipment, getting refills, refill hoses, safety, etc

Peter wrote:

I think most people who fly without o2 at/above FL100 are deluding themselves as to their mental capacity, plus they pay a price after landing.

It really does depend on the individual and, while there are some people (I think mainly smokers) who struggle at FL80, there really are others who have no difficulty at FL130. There is a spectrum in between.

My longest flight at FL130 was Iqaluit to Reykjavik, a total flight time of 10:20 (though the last couple of hours was probably lower.) I suffered no effects at the time, nor afterwards, and made the 8:05 journey to Biggin the next day, 14 hours between landing and taking off.

It is really important that we each work within our own limitations, neither encouraging others to emulate us without proper SPO2 testing and gradual pushing of experience, but equally, to extend from one’s own experience to “most people” in your own quote above may also be a disservice.

It is an area to approach and address with considerable care.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Yeah, alright. How is the pilot going to determine that?

His problem. The guidance material then has – effectively – a recommendation for those who cannot answer your question, or cannot be bothered.

I like this approach to regs. “you decide, but here are some handy rules you may wish to follow”.

Biggin Hill

Dave_Phillips wrote:

…. and if you are flying a European aircraft you are breaking the law.

Maybe in a G-reg after Brexit, but not in a real EASA-reg. The law changed last July (IIRC) as Airborne_Again pointed out and as previously discussed on EuroGA. Contrary to general perception, Europe is extremely dynamic, so you really need to keep up with legislative changes.

In any event I mostly fly N-reg.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 01 Apr 08:04
LFPT, LFPN

I like this approach to regs. “you decide, but here are some handy rules you may wish to follow”.

I agree, but it is a curious approach if you want to define a line which creates a criminal offence if not complied with – that is the main incentive for compliance with most regs

But in GA there are also passengers. Would I fly with someone who does not use O2 at say FL120? No. Well not unless I was sitting RHS, had O2, and could fly the plane. But most passengers are clueless in this respect.

to extend from one’s own experience to “most people” in your own quote above may also be a disservice.

On that flight test group, most of them would not have been safe at FL120, with heart rates in the “fast walk up a steep hill” region, IIRC. Add to that my FI example above… I would stick to the word “most”. Especially in the GA IR holder demographic…

And O2 is such a low cost thing, and using it is so easy. It doesn’t even begin to compare with the money people spend on fancy avionics, and the rest of flying.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What keeps people from using O2 is not the cost. It’s the hassle and the discomfort.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Sure, but with a typical IFR tourer you roughly halve your operating ceiling and deprive yourself of the best hazardous wx avoidance option by far: flying VMC on top.

Administrator

Sure. Just sayin why most people hate O2 and try to avoid it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A bit off-topic, but I’d be interested in how often people replace their oxymizers, and whether based on calendar time or estimated usage or a combination of both. The packaging says 3 weeks, which is perhaps relevant for medical usage but not for aviation. I assume that for sanitary reasons, each person should have his/her own labelled oxymizer…. comments?

LSZK, Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

What keeps people from using O2 is not the cost. It’s the hassle and the discomfort.

It is also cost/benefit. And the hassle of filling your bottle. And cleaning the cannulas. Acquiring the equipment is something like 1200€ IIRC.

LFPT, LFPN

A bit off-topic, but I’d be interested in how often people replace their oxymizers, and whether based on calendar time or estimated usage or a combination of both.

Not off topic

I have never seen a 3 week life limit on a cannula. Sounds like revenue generation.

I just don’t mix them among different people.

They can be washed out with alcohol (IPA) and blown out with compressed air. I fill the whole length with IPA. Then dry it and put it in a bag with the person’s name on it. If the person is not likely to be around again I throw it away.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message