Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT / PLB (merged)

@Jesse: I have got a new battery in my old ELT, this was done by an avionic man. He tested the device after changing the battery but surprisingly did not charge money for it. He adviced to send the ELT to the big avionic shop for repair.
Can one get a new ELT without battery for using the new battery from the old ELT?

Berlin, Germany

No they come with a new battery. Maybe the avionics man could take them back? If he / you are sure that they are unused. He might be able to help another customer with it.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

On N reg, install of an ELT is a minor modification.

KUZA, United States

Mandatory (fixed installation ELT) in Czech Republic.

LKHK, Czech Republic

And is that an airspace requirement, or registration-related? In other words, does it also apply to foreign registered planes?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

It seems to be registration related, i.e. mandatory for all AC registered with Czech CAA.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Summing it up (additions/corrections welcome):

Registration requirement: Sweden, Czechia, Germany

Airspace requirement: Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland

No requirement: Belgium + Luxembourg

Last Edited by at 20 Mar 11:44
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@Peter,
My understanding of FAR 91.207 is that for all but Part 135 and some Part 121 and 125 operations the requirement is for an ELT or a PLB “attached to the aircraft”.
Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

FAR 91.207 states that a “approved personal type” “must be attached to the airplane” .

The problem with that is there are no “approved personal type” ELTs on the market .

§ 91.207 Emergency locator transmitters.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (e) and (f) of this section, no person may operate a U.S.-registered civil airplane unless—
(1) There is attached to the airplane an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition for the following operations, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations:
(i) Those operations governed by the supplemental air carrier and commercial operator rules ofparts 121 and 125;
(ii) Charter flights governed by the domestic and flag air carrier rules ofpart 121 of this chapter; and
(iii) Operations governed bypart 135 of this chapter; or

• For operations other than those specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, there must be attached to the airplane an approved personal type or an approved automatic type emergency locator transmitter that is in operable condition, except that after June 21, 1995, an emergency locator transmitter that meets the requirements of TSO-C91 may not be used for new installations.*

(b) Each emergency locator transmitter required by paragraph (a) of this section must be attached to the airplane in such a manner that the probability of damage to the transmitter in the event of crash impact is minimized. Fixed and deployable automatic type transmitters must be attached to the airplane as far aft as practicable.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

It is not required in Norway. But, a PLB is a personal device. There was a discussion of installing ELT on the gliders in the club last summer, due to a several day and huge search mission after a pilot and aircraft (he was found dead, several days later). A PLB would be much simpler, but for this to be effective, than each pilot would have to have his own and remember to wear it. I also think I remember that in Europe, a PLB has to be attached to the person (maybe this is only for Norway, a requirement from the SAR organisations?). In effect, although a PLB would be OK on a light airplane, it creates situations that makes an ELT much more practical. A PLB is the right device for boaters and hikers, but not for light GA. When flying at remote locations, a PLB in addition to the ELT is not a bad idea.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message