Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to remove stickers from the outside of a plane?

I have recently purchased the Zlin 142 I was asking about a few month ago in the forum. I am happy with the paint scheme and its condition is good, so a repaint is not due in quite a few years. The plane has, however, a few stickers that were applied by the previous owner at the time of the latest repaint. What is the best method to remove them without causing major damage underneath? Is it possible to repaint only those areas if some marks remain?

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

The traditonal way to remove stickers is to soften the adhesive gently with a heat gun or hair dryer, then peel them off. Any remaining adhesive can be removed with solvent, I use typically use car petrol.

Congratulations on buying the Zlin! I want a ride! I wish you good luck and many good flights.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 09 Apr 14:50

If the adhesive has dried solid, I’d wash it off with solvent as Silvaire said. If it’s still semi-liquid, it’s better to spray it with WD-40 to curd it up and rub it off with a finger, and only then use the solvent to dissolve the remnants.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Sticky residue can also be softened and removed with spray furniture polish eg Mr Sheen or similar.

Spray on, leave for a minute and rub off.

EGHO Thruxton

I use this for labels and old masking tape. Works remarkably well on everything I have tried so far.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have a closer look at the stickers today and see what the situation is.

Silvaire wrote:

Congratulations on buying the Zlin! I want a ride! I wish you good luck and many good flights.

Thanks! You can get the ride, just let me know when you are in Eastern Hungary.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Thanks for the offer. I’ve never flown in a plane with a LOM engine… and have ridden longer distances for much less!

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message