Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

8.33kHz spacing in UK at present

At this point in time (June 2016), do I need 8.33kHz spacing capability to file IFR in airspace classes A,B and C below FL195 in the UK?

For those flying IFR in Class A/B/C, at least one 8.33 kHz radio must be fitted and operational from 1 January 2014
Garmin 430 or similar provide both Basic RNAV GPS and 8.33 capability and are a common method of compliance.

See UK CAA Information Notice 2013/18

More easily digestible detail and background on general private aircraft equipment requirements/changes for Mode S, 8.33, ELT and Oxygen here.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Coming across the N Sea from COA to CLN a few weeks ago at FL80, I was given an 8.33 frequency for the first time. On contact, I was told it wasn’t the right one and got a different 8.33 frequency. When I made the same trip a week later, it was back to the normal 25 kHz frequency.

Perhaps some one can educate me but I thought we did not use Class B in the UK and Class C STARTS at FL195.

UK, United Kingdom

There is class C in the UK much lower down, between Hollyhead and Dublin. It’s in UK airspace, but control is delegated to Dublin ATC (who don’t use 8.33).

Plenty of class A around in the UK though.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

It’s just reminding you who’s boss here.

That’s a hefty expensive upgrade for a one-off trip to the UK and back to NA.

Sorry for the thread drift, but Dublinpilot have you ever got a clearance through L975? Last time I asked Dublin for one they failed and referred me to London Information!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Hi Aveling,

Yes I have gotten a clearance into it before, but Dublin really don’t like VFR traffic in that area at any reasonable altitude because of conflicts with the commerical traffic.

It really annoyed me, because they’ve often asked me to be 1500ft crossing the FIR, which I argue bitterly over. (SEP) Usually a better compromise is found by varying the route or giving step climbs/descents.

They will let you in if they don’t have traffic in the area.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message