Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W or not

Ok, this seems to be the final solution:
1. Upgrade the 430 to WAAS
2. Installing a flightstream 210, IPad already exists, running Garmin Pilot App
3. Installing a GNC 255

Everything apart makes no sense economically speaking….

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

CD135 wrote:

Everything apart makes no sense economically speaking….

Although this is also a solution, the other solution would also be perfectly do-able IMHO.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I guess the Ipad will be used as the main display device for the route ahead, which is OK provided that it doesn’t pack up / overheat / crash / run out of battery / etc.

But for sure it saves a lot of money.

As with most avionics upgrades, the answer will ultimately depend on one’s view of the future of one’s ownership of that aircraft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok, I give in – I bought the GNS530……

It will get a flightstream 210, for the time being, I will take out the 430, will fly for a while.
Then it´s decision time wether I will upgrade the 430 to WAAS and reinstall or if a new navcom will replace the crippled KX155 (only the G/S is crippled…).

Thanks for the buckets full of knowledge, indeed I learned a lot.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

I think you are better off with the GNS530W than just upgrading the GNS430 to a W. The GNS430 has good resale value if you want to save money. You will love the FS210.

KUZA, United States

Aftermath:

I would like to give information about the ending of this upgrade:

Finally, I bought the 530W and agreed to upgrade the 430 to the WAAS version. The sheduled installation was terminated in the first week of January 2017
But something was nagging me, I was not ready to spend the money on upgrading the 430 additionally to the 530W, so in November I cancelled the 430-upgrade to WAAS and advised the avionics shop to install the 530W with the Flightstream 210, take out the 430 and leave the KX155 in place for the time being. I planned to keep the 430 on the shelf and do the installation whenever I was ready.
I flew my airplane to the avionics shop and the work started; Then I had the unique opportunity to buy a used but flawless KX165A with 8,33kHz-capability. I took this opportunity, and the KX165A will be installed with no hassle and a minimum of work (1,5h).
So there it is: Dual 8,33kHz radios, 2 VOR receiver and BRNAV with WAAS, and I´m happy.

The End (for now….)

Frank

Last Edited by CD135 at 22 Jan 21:18
EDFM

And that´s how it looks:

EDFM

Don’t know if it has been mentioned but with the GNS530W a little device called flightstream becomes usable with which you can link the FPL you created in the Garmin Pilot app directly into the 530. You save yourself all the tuning in of waypoints. And a GPSS module maybe

EDIT- always read threads to the end….

Do you have an autopilot? Then a GPSS module would help

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 06 Feb 14:00
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I had an STEC30 installed last year, and if you look exactly at the left side of the picture, you can see half of the GPSS switch, which belongs to the ST901 GPSS module

To be exact it was the report about installing an STEC AP in your PA28 on your personal website which gave the last impulse to go for it…….

Best regards

Frank

Last Edited by CD135 at 06 Feb 21:46
EDFM

Frank, did this " famous German avionic shop " keep their deadlines with you?
I am just experiencing the opposite. Bought a Garmin overhauled 530W in November from them (EASA form 1) and need some panel work plus additional installations, but after waiting almost 10 weeks to get an appointment they now keep me waiting for another two weeks (+). Aircaft is parked outside their facilities in winterly weather.The reason for the delay is sickness of workforce and problems with other customer’s installation … and they asked already for 2/3 of the total cost.
If I compare their way of work with my previous own professional life I cannot recommend them.

Last Edited by nobbi at 08 Feb 20:44
EDxx, Germany
Sign in to add your message