Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GNS530W or not

Ok, let´s talk plain language, I had all this work done by Avionik Straubing, as you can see on the 530 the installation of the A/P was also done by them: I can absolutely recommend this shop, quality of work and precision is top notch; they followed the planned schedule and the the cost plan.
In the planning of the installation they were absolutely flexible and listened to my whishes; as described above I changed the plan 3 or 4 times, every time I got an updated calculation of costs, so absolutely no complaint here. The 530W and as well the KX165A were not sold by them, I bought them privately, without Form1 and they did the recertification. The head of installation called me and informed about the “weakening” AI, which was discovered during the test flight (see other thread), so again: I cannot complain.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

The 530W and as well the KX165A were not sold by them, I bought them privately, without Form1 and they did the recertification

That’s interesting. How did they know they were genuine?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What do you want to achieve with this? That some regulatory reads your comment and forbids all usage of second hand parts, and making GA even more expensive?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

The 530W was sent to Garmin UK for certification and testing because it needed a front screen exchange, the KX165A was bought privately, but removed from the aircraft it was previously installed in by another avionics shop. The absence of Form 1 / 8130 made the whole thing a little bit more expensive, but not by much, if I look at the final figure.

Best regards

Frank

Last Edited by CD135 at 09 Feb 22:09
EDFM

Peter wrote:

Had the same thing with a DME I bought from a user here. Bench test and check out of all functions. No problem at all.

Garmins usually get sent to Garmin for recertification.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Bench test and check out of all functions. No problem at all.

This is normal operation, again for EASA and FAA, I wonder why Peter is amazed.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Lots of things amaze me. It is a function of age.

Post 122 omitted the return to Garmin.

There is also this which is a “useful” route since an 8130-3 is not acceptable for installing a used item on an EASA-reg plane unless the 8130-3 is issued by the original manufacturer (according to a post here by wigglyamp) whereas clearly an EASA-1 form is thus acceptable.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

There is also this which is a “useful” route since an 8130-3 is not acceptable for installing a used item on an EASA-reg plane unless the 8130-3 is issued by the original manufacturer (according to a post here by wigglyamp) whereas clearly an EASA-1 form is thus acceptable

https://www.easa.europa.eu/faq/19058

From your link:

Which in practice is what I said, because the vast majority of FAA 145 companies cannot do dual release. Especially the most reputable US engine shops.

So this is a one sided restrictive practice by Europe.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Which in practice is what I said,

Not exactly.
You said that a 8130-3 from a manufacturer is acceptable. But what really matters is that the component must be “new”.
Indeed, most FAA components manufacturers are also FAA certified repair station.
So when you need to exchange a component under warranty, you need to be sure that the component you receive in exchange is “new”!
This also means that a part repaired by the manufacturer is not acceptable as it’s not “new”.
Trust me, such difference matters, especially during an airwothiness review.
Don’t ask me how I know.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 10 Feb 13:06
Sign in to add your message