Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

King KNS80

Can any one recommend a avionics company to repair kns80 in the uk (other than IAE
Thanks

Navcom Avionics, I think is the last one left. I spoke to the owner, a Mr Honey, and he is really clued-up.

IAE packed up after the guy retired, some years ago.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

While it can be repairable, I would recommend to repair only if economical repairable. These units are almost worthless, even though they are still quite reliable. They just get tossed out due to their size. Getting another unit could be an alternative.

Last Edited by Jesse at 29 Jun 18:29
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

That would be an option if I could find one in the UK

@A_and_C might be able to help you sourcing one in the UK if required.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

How much do they go for now? I have a perfectly functional one in my plane and have long considered replacing it with a thinner DME-only device to gain panel space. A slim DME will fit outside of my main panel thereby freeing up the whole panel space taken up in my main panel by the very bulky KNS device. (I never use the RNAV capability of the KNS80).

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

The slimline DME will be likely more expensive then what you get for the KNS-80.

For Rob it will depend on what the KNS-80 doesn’t do. It might be a <250 Euro repair, at which repair is more sensible then replacement. If it would go over lets say 500 – 750 Euro, it will be more sensible to replace it for another unit. Which I would expect to be around that range.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Thanks Jesse.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Hi,
I was just looking for some information about IAE in Cranfield when I came across this thread.

We were thinking of leaving our 182 there to do some work on the KAP140 and the HSI which is slightly off by 10 degrees..

Would you recommended or should we look elsewhere?

Thanks

Evo400

In the UK, the only avionics guy I have met who understands electronics (a requirement for fixing anything remotely nontrivial in avionics) is Harry Lees who I believe works part time for GAMA at Fairoaks.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message