Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

Airborne_Again wrote:

EASA IFR aircraft operating according to part-NCO only require one altimeter.

Do you have a reference for this in NCO? Thank you :)

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

NorFlyer wrote:

NCO.IDE.A.125

If operating under Part CAT then for Night or under IFR, 2 altimeters are required – see CAT.IDE.A.125/130 and table 1 in the AMC.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

NorFlyer wrote:

NCO.IDE.A.125 Operations under IFR — flight and navigational instruments and associated equipment

Aeroplanes operated under IFR shall be equipped with:
(a) a means of measuring and displaying the following:
….
(3) pressure altitude;

There is no mention, either in the regulation itself or in the AMC/GM, of the number of altimeters required. Thus a single altimeter is sufficient for compliance.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The G5 would be an obvious replacement for a u/s vacuum driven AI, as replacement steam driven AI’s are the best part of £1000. But in a traditional 6-pack layout you still have a vacuum DI ( if no HSI is fitted). As all is well with my steam driven instruments, but wanting to do a programme of upgrading I would be much more interested in a glass DI , or preferably an HSI. The basic VFR Aspen does the job, gives an AI and DI plus some GPS ability and an OAT gauge at somewhere around £5000 fitted, but plus EASA mod costs and hassle which I don’t want.
Are Garmin likely to add a stand-alone glass DI/HSI to their product list, or even produce a combined instrument like Aspen, but with EASA approval?

G500?

EGTF, LFTF

Marchettiman wrote:

The basic VFR Aspen does the job, gives an AI and DI plus some GPS ability and an OAT gauge at somewhere around £5000 fitted, but plus EASA mod costs

For which aircraft? Normally the Aspen would come with an free to use STC for many aircraft. If your aircraft is not in their STC, changes are that they are not on other STC’s either.

Last Edited by Jesse at 15 Feb 23:09
JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I would venture to guess that Garmin is working on certification for a DI/HSI as well.

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 16 Feb 07:22
Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Above pic shows the altimeter setting in inches (29.81). Is there a millibar option?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is there a millibar option?

Yes

EGEO

In both the certified and uncertified versions?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message