Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G5 (merged thread)

The install manual of the certified version only specifies “inches”, see page 46.
Well, the G5 software is the same for both certified and experimental version… Only the STC documents are present in the certified version.

@NorFlyer, you must disable the HSI screen for the certified version. Trek, the garmin marketing that is always communication on beechtalk mentioned that they have no direct plans to certify the HSI in the G5.

Belgium

Is it possible to display the rate 1 turn angle on the roll scale? so as to dispense of a turn coordinator as in @NorFlyer’s picture.

ESMK, Sweden

Peter wrote:

Above pic shows the altimeter setting in inches (29.81). Is there a millibar option?

Yes, and a hectopascal option (obviously the numbers are the same as mb, it just says hPa instead). Speed can be shown in knots, mph, km/h. Markers for Vs, Vx, Vy etc. are configurable. You can also set it up to log to a microSD card (not enabled by default), where it writes a CSV file.

Andreas IOM

Am I correct in understanding that the G5 EFIS is NOT approved to be installed in a G1000 C182 in place of the vacuum driven AI, but it is approved for installation in the steam gauge ones? Same with the Dynon D10A/D100, right? I’m pretty sure this is what the AML says, but since I can ask…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

Am I correct in understanding that the G5 EFIS is NOT approved to be installed in a G1000 C182 in place of the vacuum driven AI, but it is approved for installation in the steam gauge ones? Same with the Dynon D10A/D100, right? I’m pretty sure this is what the AML says, but since I can ask…

Yes they can be used as primary indicator only, they are not certified as backup instruments.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

What is the thinking behind that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What is the thinking behind that?

Maybe it is less robust? Not sure, it does have a backup battery and is allowed for VFR and IFR as primary. Maybe @Wigglyamp knows the details

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

I can only speculate based on experience of writing STCs, but these would be my opinion on why you can’t use a G5 as standby to an EFIS:
1. When an EFIS system such as a G1000 or G500 is certified, the aircraft-level functional hazard assessment requires demonstration of meeting the quantitive failure probabilities shown in AC23-1309. Since the G5 isn’t TSO’d, there probably isn’t the data available to be able to shown continued compliance to the requirements of the existing EFIS approvals.
2. AC23-1309 requires a particular level of Software and complex electronic hardware (DAL A, B or C) for the primary and standby instruments depending on the class of aircraft. Again, the G5 can’t show compliance as it isn’t certified as using DO178B software or DO254 hardware.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

G5 Now works as DG/HSI/LOC

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170329005114/en/

The plot thickens…. except only Garmin products will drive the HSI & localizer functions. A dual set up (two G5s) will retail for $4500.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

except only Garmin products will drive the HSI & localizer functions.

Not sure that’s true – the GAD29 converter box can accept any ARINC source.

EGEO
Sign in to add your message