Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random avionics internals

The diplomatic bag is more of a concept, going up to shipping container size. I read somewhere of an entire tank turret going through an embassy in Eastern Europe this way during the Cold War.

At one point my uncle was a courier for the bank he worked for, carrying their sensitive documents internationally. I don’t think the briefcase was actually handcuffed to him, but it was very clear it was a considerable responsibility. He didn’t talk much about it as the jet lag made it a horrible job.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Here is another 1950s (maybe 1960s) tour de force:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I realise that this thread is mainly about the internals of older avionics, but I would love to see a comparison between them and some of the newer technology, particularly the Flytx from Thales which is currently being tested using a Cabri as the test bed, but intended for the new Guépard helicopter.
At the risk of underlining my ignorance of IT systems it seems to rely on the cloud and the technology of EFBs to keep the system small. (At least that’s my reading of it, but what do I know? IT is rocket science to me.)😃
At the moment they seem to be concentrating on helicopters in the smaller GA part of the market and are not yet working on fixed wing.
Interesting fact is that as an avionics supplier and maintenance company they have a bigger market capitalisation than Garmin.

France

They can’t be relying on “cloud” which is the modern way of saying that the data lives on some remotely located server.

If anybody is willing to send me some stuff, I will be delighted to take it apart and post it

Military stuff in current use is likely to be at least 10 years old and probably 20. Anything from Ukraine will be more like 25-30

Administrator

There are a lot of people who would like to get hold of Flytx and all have them have access.to a lot more resources than I do.
It’s aimed for the moment at Civil helicopters in the Squirrel range I think.
Although I believe they also supply to the military as well as Airbus.
I am waiting to see how they manage to cram all these avionics into a Cabri. I tried one at LFPN and they are not very big or powerful.

France

Peter wrote:

Here is another 1950s (maybe 1960s) tour de force:

Almost as impressive as the WWII German “FAMEC” (Full Authority Mechanical Engine Control) mentioned previously in EuroGA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Analogue EPR gauge from a simulator.

Andreas IOM

That looks exactly like a load of Socata TB stuff – 1970s design. Could even be the same company, looking at that circuit.

Administrator

It’s Thales aviation.

France

Thales is today’s name for the current owner of a load of old companies, but this is much older. I have seen name stickers on some stuff; if I find it I will post it. It is some small company.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message