Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA owner maintenance privileges

Following this thread on EASA privileges, this is a useful reminder.

Actually the two (not sure what the latest is on the EASA ELA2 scenario or whether it is even current now) are quite similar.

There is a lot of stuff which one cannot usually do “practically” e.g. the wheels – because that needs jacking up and that needs a hangar and it has to be one where you are allowed to work. Also some tasks are multi-person jobs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
that needs a hangar and it has to be one where you are allowed to work. Also some tasks are multi-person jobs.

Neither is a problem for me particularly, and, to my impression, neither is it for the European pilot/owner community at large. Only the fewest fields seem to have restrictions on working on one’s plane – the presence of commercial maintenance organisations could well explain that, but are those really so omnipresent? It is hard to imagine.

And of course one can always find a helping hand, especially on fields with a bar. Finding an able hand to help might need prior arrangements, though, but should still be easily possible. It never was the least bit of trouble to me.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

That’s a pretty good article and its natural given AOPA’s political purpose that it downplays the financial aspect. Despite that, my experience is that hands-on work in collaboration with an A&P mechanic can eliminate a lot of expense. One reason is that (certainly in the US) when working on your own plane the FAA licensed mechanic is less likely to be a paid professional, he may simply be a friend with whom you trade favors and/or share activities both ways. In that way, plane ownership and maintenance can become a safety-enhancing part of your lifestyle, not a series of stressful business transactions.

Jacking planes for tire changes etc can be a pain, but that depends on the type. On a simple fixed gear plane you can often do it very much like you would on a car.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Aug 14:41
3 Posts
Sign in to add your message