Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

L-3 ESI-500 standby indicator / horizon

what_next wrote:

Less is sometimes more… if I had to select a “Meggitt” replacement, I would probably choose this one, because I will need no extra pair of glasses to read it: http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/md302-sam

Personally, I think attitude indicator on the SAM is just too small. I still like the Trilogy the best of these but it’s like 13k. So the bare version (no terrain or anything) of this or G5 might be good contenders.

blueline wrote:

In light GA, I guess 90 of 100 potential buyers will go for Dynon or…

IIRC that Dynon offering was only good as one instrument, I think attitude indicator. The rest wouldn’t count for anything and you would still need separate instruments.

The ESI-500 now has has EASA-validated STC covering loads of Part 23 aircraft so it can now be used as an approved standby for Gamin G500 etc.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

It exists – I saw one at Fairoaks a couple of weeks ago.

wigglyamp wrote:

The ESI-500 now has has EASA-validated STC covering loads of Part 23 aircraft so it can now be used as an approved standby for Gamin G500 etc.

Can it replace my standby AI, ASI and altimeter? (With the addition of an EA-100 for the KFC-200.) I’m not sure the G5 can replace all three.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

The ESI-500 is TSO’d and Level A certified (unlike the G5) so can do attitude, altitude and airspeed. With the optional magnetometer it can also do heading.

Last Edited by wigglyamp at 15 Oct 16:35
Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

We have the Trilogy backup AH.

Have seen better products, but it does the job. And I don’t have to pay for it.

I’m mainly saying this because of the crude user interface.

Last Edited by Archie at 23 Oct 11:12
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message