Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dynon D2 repair ?

Hello everybody,

some weeks ago I did a foolish thing: Cranking the engine with the Dynon D2 AI plugged into the lighter outlet, which is not connected to the avionics master; not a good thing ! To make it worse the battery was weak, no start-up, but a voltage peak, so the Dynon D2 went belly up; Wont´t boot up any more.
First action: Installed a new battery, the old one was from 1997 (!) and got worse in a coupIe of month. Second action: I had my avionics shop install a switch, which controls the lighter outlet; now the checklist item “all schwitches off” prevents a similar event.
Does anybody know, who does repairs on Dynon avionics in Germany / Europe ? The Dynon D2 was gift from a friend in the US, so no dealer, guarantee etc.available.

Best regards

Frank

EDFM

No idea who would be suitable in Germany, but if you don’t find someone locally I would contact Mendelssohn’s in Edinburgh (www.gps.co.uk)
They sell the Dynon product range and have a lot of experience in assembling and repairing avionics. I’ve used them several times and always found them to be very knowledgable and helpful.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Whoever designed this product was clearly not aware it would be used in something with an engine and a starter motor! And I am not kidding at all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, Peter, you´re right; it should be used running on the internal battery; the external power only should be used in case of running the internal battery low.
- But: It´s very convenient to have the unit power up at start-up without pushing a button/switch – and here starts the chain of Events.

Frank

EDFM

Are you sure it’s the D2 that has failed and not the power supply?

Have you tried charging it with a USB cable?

Stevelup,
yes, I checked the power source, everything is fine, charges Ipad etc.
It´s the D2, it starts booting, but freezes with a bluescreen. Multiple resets didn´t change anything.
After some research I found this:

http://dynonavionics.de/

Sent them an email, let´s see what´s happening.

Frank

Last Edited by CD135 at 03 Oct 15:09
EDFM

Have you tried reloading the firmware:-

http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software_D1.html

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message