Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trio Avionics / Trutrak autopilot - possible FAA STC (but no EASA STC) & no ILS no HDG no pitch trim

There is a review of the Trutrak autopilot here

Seems to work well, but that little user interface looks rather fiddly, although the panel space saving will be good for many.

The lack of a trim servo is highlighted; this guy is clearly not used to having that I would really miss it. Pitch trim is central to flying…

This is really interesting and I doubt many knew about it

Now, you can hardly fly an IAP covertly, so a lot of flying with a Trutrak autopilot will be very visibly illegal. The whole world will see you on FR24 doing some illegal flying. This is a JOKE, surely…

Also:

And as posted before, no ILS (or VOR) which is a big drawback for IFR in Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Now, you can hardly fly an IAP covertly, so a lot of flying with a Trutrak autopilot will be very visibly illegal. The whole world will see you on FR24 doing some illegal flying. This is a JOKE, surely…

Joke: C’mon looks like the ideal AP for an E-IR holder & “VFR in GTN750”?

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Jan 15:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
I don’t exactly understand the “visibly illegal” part.. I would think its quite difficult to prove that you were flying a coupled approach,not just hand flew..
EETU, Estonia

It is in a worse category than overtly flying an NDB approach but actually with a GPS. That is not illegal. Even if you published a video, they could not get you for it.

This autopilot is illegal for flying approaches, and sure nobody can tell you are not hand flying (actually AP flying is very obvious relative to hand flying, on a radar track, but proving it is another matter) but if you then publish a youtube video showing you doing it (as so many pilots are these days) then you are providing the proof. Or an accident survivor… hard to argue with someone if you are dead.

Now take e.g. the German gross negligence insurance angle… and all of a sudden everything changes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
74 Posts
Sign in to add your message