Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Emergency gear extension (also general maintenance)

It was one of the first things I did when we bought our TB20, and of course the previous owner hadn’t changed the struts so no amount of shaking around would get the nose wheel to lock. Obviously we replaced the struts, and just as well, as the emergency extension worked fine when I did it for real following an electrical failure.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

With the exception of “blow down” or wirelocked emergency systems, I use the emergency extension system in every RG I fly, for prctice, and to be sure it works as advertised. The muscle memory of doing it is invaluable, as well as knowing how long it takes/how many hand pump strokes. In one amphib I fly, it’s in the order of 200 short hand pump strokes, you gotta allow time for that!

I have had to actually use the emergency extension system several times in my past, so I like to be confident for next time.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Interesting POV… it sounds sensible but I reckon that with some designs of the emergency gear release valve the seals will get buggered if one keeps doing it – because one is releasing the valve with > 1000psi acting against the seals. This is a good description of the Lancair 320 system.

For that reason the POH specifies pulling the gear pump CB first, but that merely prevents the pump starting up when you pull the valve actuator. It doesn’t do anything to reduce the pressure – unless you wait for ages (anything up to an hour) for the pressure to leak away a bit after the CB is pulled.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Interesting POV… it sounds sensible but I reckon that with some designs of the emergency gear release valve the seals will get buggered if one keeps doing it – because one is releasing the valve with > 1000psi acting against the seals. This is a good description of the Lancair 320 system.

We always tested it after every maintenance event in the PA-46 so you knew it worked for those times when normal extension failed.

EGTK Oxford

When using the back up system, be very sure you understand the procedures! I was once right seat to the low time owner of a Mooney. The gear would not extend, he became nervous out of proportion. I went step by step through the procedures for a manual extension, in calming tones, trying to settle him down. I missed the fact that he failed to pull the landing gear motor CB before he began. He was reading the checklist, so I thought he was doing it right. He folded out the manual crank, and began to turn it. After a portion of a turn, the motor kicked in, and whipped the crank around, skinning his knuckles. The gear came down. Then the flaps would not, and a speed brake would not retract. I offered to complete the flight, which offer he accepted with apparent relief. Once on the ground, I explained his airplane was grounded for snags, and he should phone a friend for a ride.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_DAR wrote:

When using the back up system, be very sure you understand the procedures!

Yep, and a very nice Cessna 340 that I maintain was bellied in gear-up @ Orly a few months ago because the [stupid] pilot did not understand how to perform the emergency extension and since he was under heavy duress (short fuel, night IFR), he just “crashed” it on the runway.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

Yep, and a very nice Cessna 340 that I maintain was bellied in gear-up @ Orly a few months ago because the [stupid] pilot did not understand how to perform the emergency extension and since he was under heavy duress (short fuel, night IFR), he just “crashed” it on the runway.

That is inexcusable. To own a retractable and not know how to do an emergency extension…Or even not just getting POH out.

EGTK Oxford

OTOH no one was hurt. So landing on the belly might have been the right decision anyway in that situation (although he ought to know the procedures). In similar situations many people died already….

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

OTOH no one was hurt. So landing on the belly might have been the right decision anyway in that situation (although he ought to know the procedures). In similar situations many people died already….

Well I accept it is better than crashing due to fuel exhaustion however that was not the point I am making. You should know how to do it or at least know where to find the procedure. And it is a good example of why practicing it when you don’t need it is a good idea.

Last Edited by JasonC at 13 Dec 09:18
EGTK Oxford

Of course, Jason. I’ve meant it more in the way like “a good landing is any landing you can walk away from”

EDLE
Sign in to add your message