Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which tools / toolkit should every small GA airplane owner have for maintenance?

@spirit49,

Are you a member of https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rvsqn/info. It’s a yahoo group for Vans builders, they are UK based.
Tools are often on sale.

Fairoaks/EGTF

Hello,

I wondered if one could share its habits about carrying along a “portable toolbox” in the back of the plane when flying away. If so, does it weight 0,3 pound or 30 ? Only tools or replacement parts also ?
Didn’t dig out anything about that on the forum.
Please share the details :-)

This is the light kit I always have in the plane. The WERA socket kit on the right is in inches, but I have a metric one too in the car ..

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 11 Dec 15:08

The answer depends on how far you fly from base, where you fly, etc.

After some ‘business’ in Spain in 2005 I carry a complete toolkit for a service. Weight about 20 kg. Spare vac pump etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I thought about that for a while … to carry an alternator or starter on long trips. My conclusion was that it makes no sense: Today you can get a part from Cirrus Europe in the Netherlands to almost every location in Europe in 1-2 days. And I am sure that always the one part breaks you don’t carry …

Peter wrote:

complete toolkit for a service

Would you mind give more detail ?

Peter wrote:

Weight about 20 kg

You lose 300ft of your absolute ceiling :-)

Peter wrote:

Spare vac pump

I wouldn’t have thought to this one first !!

Nice toolkit Flyer – im falle eines falles, UHU klebt alles!

If flying where I can beg, borrow or buy tools, I just carry screwdriver, duct tape and windscreen cleaner.

Otherwise, I carry my 50 hour service tool box – about 6 kg. Edit: also sleeping bag, toothbrush, food and drink.

Last Edited by Jacko at 11 Dec 18:38
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

;-) I know it’s really minimalistic … but then I have a big box in the baggage compartment with oxygen accessories, chocks, oil, life vests, tie down kit, first aid, EPIRB, cover, funnel, ..

You wouldn’t believe how many things you can repair with the tools above (I also always have a leatherman on my belt and for most things even that is enough)

This was the stuff I carried to Greece this summer. The tools are in the foreground.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 11 Dec 18:42

Don’t take your tool kit to the hotel as when you return to any large airport in the UK the Yogurt police will take great joy in confiscating it !

The Bonanza went tech on the Isle of Man. I could write a book about that journey. Anyhow, turn up at Blackpool, to get the commercial service over, with my tools. Get to security. We will take those Sir. Error, no, I am a pilot, plane gone tech, etc, etc. They were having none of it. Just as I am about to lose it, our Captain came over, intervened, and my tools flew over under the LHS, where on departing the plane, our saviour Captain returned them to me.

The security bods however were none to pleased…

I now carry some spanners and a pair of pliers in the back.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 11 Dec 19:58
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow
Sign in to add your message