Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA AD proposal on heaters in nearly 2000 piston twins

Peter wrote:

I think you are kidding, at FL200, -30C, at night

Glider pilots do it with no heater. OK, not at night, but at FL350 and -40 to -50C!

Andreas IOM

But they are wearing an aircraft to keep them warm!

SCNR

It all depends on how much draught there is, I guess. A high performance glider will not have drag inducing holes in the fuselage, and flying on sunny days with a canopy will also help – so clothing will have to offer thermal protection, but not quite of the Eskimo variety.

On the other hand, the Seneca I flew once or twice had cold air inlets that did not seal properly – we called them “Ankle Freezers” for a reason…

Biggin Hill

You know what they say…“there’s no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing”.

I had a onesie designed for driving a skidoo at 100km/h in -60°C and I was snug as a bug in a rug at a mere -40° with no windchill.

Operating the avionics in ski-gloves was something of a challenge, mind you.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I can testify that the heater in a Chieftain gives-up at about 16000ft. After that, it gets might clod, mighty quick. I think the coldest indicated cabin temperature I’ve seen was -37 or so at 24000ft. Fortunately, the task was cut short as then hard drives in the onboard computers had given up. :)

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message