Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thuraya antenna

Hiya,

Everone interessted in a Thuraya antenna from antcom? Model 42T1516P-XT-2 I will get one for myself and could get a few more to save shipping and inspection cost (8130 tagged)

Markus

United Kingdom

What's the rough cost?

Price: $261 each FAA TSO Air Worthiness Certificate: $100 per single antenna + shipping (I wait for their answer on this)

I've got an EORI number and can import the goods into EU

United Kingdom

A search on 42T1516P-XT-2 turns up this.

Yours seems to be on page 41 of the PDF. This is Antcom. It's funny how the same stuff goes round and round...

Antcom is the firm from which I bought mine for my roof mounted experiment.

Whether the 42T works better than the one they supplied me with back then (2009) is hard to say. They apparently could not test them because they are in the USA and Thuraya doesn't cover the USA. Under much pressure they eventually admitted this.

So I would ask them if it's any better than the one I used. But at $300 or so, that's an OK price even if it is the same one, especially if you get a piece of paper with it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They apparently could not test them because they are in the USA and Thuraya doesn't cover the USA. Under much pressure they eventually admitted this.

But you can test an antenna in a lab, you don't need satellite coverage. A signal generator, a power meter and a network analyzer (for the matching) does it nicely.

What kind of 8130 do they supply? 8130-3 dual release?

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes it is an 8130-3

United Kingdom

Antcom may or may not be EASA approved.

On an 8130-3 it will show any EASA approval in Box 13.

However an FAA 8130-3 is good for an EASA reg plane if the part is new.

Certain avionics shops also want the 8130-3 to come from the original manufacturer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What is the time frame of your project?

Given that the Thuraya mobile transmit band is only about 50MHz away from GPS L1, do you expect any interference / desensitation of the GPS receivers? How far will the antenna be away from the GPS antenna on your aircraft?

LSZK, Switzerland

I have no time frame, will just start when I have everything. The antenna should be at least 6inch away from any other antenna. 50Mhz is no problem as there are no harmonics.

United Kingdom

50Mhz is no problem as there are no harmonics.

I'm not worried about harmonics, more about VCO/Transmitter noise

LSZK, Switzerland
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message