Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G500 retrofit costs for a TB20GT

Jetprop wrote:

you can also compare apples and oranges

I always thought that that was exactly what you can’t do, but English idiom was never my strong suit.

I have flown behind G500, G600 and Aspen. Both my own aircraft have had Aspen for about 5 years, so I guess that means I have around 800 hours on Aspen. Rather less on Gx00, but it’s on the aircraft that I principally fly at the moment, so I have had enough time to get a good feel. I also have a few hundred hours on G1000.

It is frankly ridiculous to have this snobbery about Aspen. There are many aspects which are better than Gx00, particularly the UI and clarity, though there are other aspects which are worse.

The worst thing is that ice on the pitot static system can give you red crosses, which is disconcerting, but a good reminder to put the pitot heat on (how do I know? )

But the comparison between putting in IAP minima into the two is almost funny. One button press on the Aspen, a whole performance on the Gx00. Engaging GPSS on the Gx00 is counterintuitive, but again one button press on the Aspen.

At the moment I am flying a G600 Chieftain that shows 2½° nose up in level cruise. When I had that on my Aspen-equipped Navajo, it took me 30 seconds to fix. I have to wait until I can get the Chieftain into an avionics shop before it can be fixed.

The MFD on the Gx00 is bigger than on the Aspen, which is an advantage, but the Aspen offers two or three way split screen, so you can see, say, traffic, weather and terrain in separate sub screens at the same time.

They are not apples and oranges, they are two implementations of really rather similar technologies with small differences between them. Given the straight choice, I would stick with Aspen, but I am perfectly happy with Gx00.

EGKB Biggin Hill

a G600 Chieftain that shows 2½° nose up in level cruise

That one is arguable both ways, because most planes, right up to an A380, fly with about a 2.5 degree up pitch.

My AHRS shows the same – 2.5 deg UP. It was levelled with the aircraft level on the ground.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jetprop
bq. QuoteI know an avx shop (B) that did both (one EASA (TB20GT) and one FAA (TB20) )

Is there a technical difference between the FAA and EASA implementation ? Or is it just paperwork difference ?

EDRT, ELLX, Luxembourg

Peter wrote:

That one is arguable both ways, because most planes, right up to an A380, fly with about a 2.5 degree up pitch.

Actually it’s not arguable The maintenance manual contains the datum of the aircraft and the AHRS is calibrated per IM instructions to match that.

…well, I am glad that I have the option in the Aspen to correct that.

It makes you wonder what a Gx00 implementation in a DC3 would be like. 30° nose down in level flight?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Actually I saw a G500 installed in a WW2 Mustang. They did have that very issue – IIRC the IM didn’t support such a large pitch angle when on the ground. They did solve it somehow.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Aspen shows the right attitude in flight in my Super Cub. Rather more nose up on the ground.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Gamin have just changed the discussion somewhat ;-)
G600 txi
Basically this is the upgrade to the G600 that brings it in line with the GTN and G3000 generation.

Still lacking some info but before people start complaining about the touchscreen interface, they seem to offer a separate PFD control system. The 7” version looks inspired from the G3X Touch and will offer engine monitoring in landscape mode, if I read correctly. Great to see Garmin continue to import ideas from their non-cert lines.

EGTF, LFTF
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message