Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to get stick-on black wing walk material

It looks similar to the epoxy method, but I re-did both a piper wing walk and a set of floats for a floatplane with this product from Aircraft Spruce (except the sand is already mixed in). I can’t say it was any better or worse than other products. I moved from Canada a year after, so can’t comment on the longevity beyond that (for which it was fine).

From a technical standpoint, perhaps epoxy is a stronger matrix material, but I wouldn’t know for sure without any real data.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

I am looking to replace the material on my TB20.

It is adhesive aluminium, with a hard black rough covering.

Among my box of airplane bits I found a sample of the same material, but have no idea where it came from. A google on the company turns up various companies, none of which appear to make this stuff. I may have got this sample from a German friend who died in a crash a few years ago.

Can anyone recognise the markings on the bag?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This either doesn’t add up or you are out of luck. What the picture shows is a bag from the hardware store chain Max Bahr (defunct since 2014) which says that it contains a 4 pieces of something from box number 9438 and another 4 pieces from 9439. Normally you would put small items which are too small and too cheap for an EAN label like screws or washers into such a bag and write the number of items on the bag for the cashier. Unless you really have stuff from the home improvement aisle of a cheap hardware store on your plane that bag has no relevant relation to its contents. And even when there is no way to determine an order number from that store specific number.

EDQH, Germany

OK; thank you

That sounds about right. The bag is probably not related, and there are no markings on the material.

Can anyone suggest a suitable heavy duty material? It obviously needs to be applied with a rubber roller, to stretch it over any rivets.

Administrator

Have a look at PTI on Aircraft Spruce. Good stuff..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

@BeechBaby beat me to it. Aircraft Spruce have a variety of products for that purpose.

I’m just having my aircraft repainted and need to apply some wing walk surface so this is timely.
I was looking at this:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/safety-hazard-tapes/1964647

But I certainly don’t need 18m of the stuff!
I was considering just mixing some sand in with epoxy paint…..

Forever learning
EGTB

I bought some of that gritty paint but didn’t use it because it seems obvious that this aluminium material is of much higher quality.

One would need approx 50-70cm width though.

That 3M stuff from RS may be very good but the price is ridiculous – unless we do a group buy, which simply isn’t going to happen.

Administrator

Yes, we need to find someone who’s got some left over…

Forever learning
EGTB

https://www.lasaero.com/products/article/D00QVR0N9

or

https://www.lasaero.com/products/article/D02S7EO0L

Problem solved…..

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 29 Dec 09:55
Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message