Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Turbocharged aircraft engines: facts and consequences

Peter,

You can drag the mouse to cover part of the plot, it will zoom in then;
I was going to say the same, do the GAMI test much slower, I do 1lph Delta, then wait for one minute to stabilize.

I don’t see anything wrong so far. On the next flight I would suggest you do a LOP in-flight magneto check. If one cylinder dies, you need to pull the mixture fully back, wait a couple of seconds, switch the mag back to BOTH and slowly advance mixture until engine runs normally; if you put mags back to BOTH without doing the mixture cut-off you risk a backfire in the exhaust. The in-flight LOP magcheck is most diagnostic and any bad sparkplugs or ignition leads will show up immediately.

EBKT

In the 10/1991 manual for the TSIO-550B I see TIT: Continuous operation permitted at 1750°F with a Peak TIT for 30 seconds at 1800°F (for peak finding purposes);

EBKT

Peter wrote:

Can the x scale around the GAMI test be magnified?

Click-drag the area you want magnified

spirit49
LOIH

dirkdj wrote:

On the next flight I would suggest you do a LOP in-flight magneto check. If one cylinder dies, you need to pull the mixture fully back, wait a couple of seconds, switch the mag back to BOTH and slowly advance mixture until engine runs normally; if you put mags back to BOTH without doing the mixture cut-off you risk a backfire in the exhaust. The in-flight LOP magcheck is most diagnostic and any bad sparkplugs or ignition leads will show up immediately.

Dirk nailed it

+1 !

Last Edited by Michael at 17 Dec 17:39
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

boscomantico wrote:

Magneto timing is normally very strictly defined in the TCDS. I would expect that very few IAs would sign off a plane that is more than a degree or so off the value or values in the TCDS…

As previously pointed out, Continental suggests checking the timing with the Super Hi Tec Flower Pot method, which IMHO, has a +/- 3° accuracy so anyone (including an IA) who thinks they can be 100% sure of 1° accuracy is kidding themselves.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes Peter, get out of Gami mode and click hold and sweep over the data you want to zoom into.
Sampling rate is 2 seconds FYI

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I see a x distance between the two most-spaced EGT peaks of 7 seconds. The significance of that depends on how fast it was leaned but looking at the whole picture it is probably too big a spread and I would definitely do a second iteration on the injectors. GAMI should charge you only for those actually required, and sometimes they don’t even charge (and charge only for shipping to Europe).

However this may also be something to watch out for.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The significance of that depends on how fast it was leaned but looking at the whole picture it is probably too big a spread and I would definitely do a second iteration on the injectors

Just a point of comparison. We installed (multipoint) EFI on the tow plane. Adjusting all that consisted of hooking the ECU up to a laptop, then running the engine at various settings, externally via internet by the producer

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter you can have savvy analysis display any other data (such as FF) on the right hand scale of this same graph. Just select from the RH menu.
This way it becomes very easy to correlate the EGT peaks with FF. Savvy also have a GAMI test mode whereby this work is automated and graphically displayed. But my experience is that it si not very dependable.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

On both logs, I get a GAMI spread of 4lph. Cyl #1 is certainly too lean. Cyl#4 is maybe on the rich side.
Peter wrote:

looking at the whole picture it is probably too big a spread and I would definitely do a second iteration on the injectors
Agree.

ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message