Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

iPad mounts (merged thread)

DEFINITIVE ANSWER FROM EASA… IT CAN BE FITTED!

United Kingdom

Those are quite severe limitations on functionality though – they rule out just about any moving map product.

Welcome to EuroGA, Huskyhipdoc

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“And I can confirm that the C152 is also considered as ELA2, any ELA1 aircraft is also considered as ELA2”

Do I need another coffee?, or does that just not read right?

Peter wrote:

they rule out just about any moving map product.

If taken very literally maybe. But there is nothing about that in the CS text itself, and I read the letter as stating that no flight instruments must be included in the moving map. Every moving map will show ground speed, track and other navigational parameters, so if these are not allowed the whole thing makes no sense.

As for IFR, there is no suggestion that the airplane cannot fly IFR or IMC with the moving map mounted. It just says, as a limitation, that it cannot be used in IMC (or night). So in IMC (or at night), simply avoid looking at it :-)

huv
EKRK, Denmark

aidanf123 wrote:

“And I can confirm that the C152 is also considered as ELA2, any ELA1 aircraft is also considered as ELA2”
Do I need another coffee?, or does that just not read right?

It is right. The important part of the ELA1 definition (for aeroplanes) is that MTOM ≤ 1200kg. For ELA2 it is MTOM ≤ 2000 kg. So every ELA1 aircraft is also an ELA2 aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

aggh I get it now — thx,

Every moving map will show ground speed, track and other navigational parameters, so if these are not allowed the whole thing makes no sense.

Yet, that is what they say…

If you get a written reply saying you can do X, then you can do X even if there is a regulation which says you cannot. This happens quite often when some “junior” in some CAA writes a letter which they should not have written.

But in this case you got a written reply which says you cannot do something, but that’s probably ok to disregard because the law says you can and everything not prohibited is permitted

Administrator

I forgot to post another data point (of no shutdown)

I did a series of 2-3h flights across France this summer. Flying usually relatively high (between FL80 and FL120). A few flights had direct sun coming into the cockpit (and the ipad), and I left the iPad (pro 10.5) with screen unlocked (running SD) and charging. I never got a shutdown.

The last shutdown I had was reading by pool in Okinawa. It (barely) saved my skin as It was still enough for me to get absolute worse sunburn of my life (from 10 → 12).

The last shutdown I had in flight must have been a few years back, with a very old iPad (I think the first retina display one)

I am certain that you can prevent any tablet from overheating if you hold the temperature of its back surface to something like +35C.

IME, +40C would be pushing one’s luck because that is a fairly warm bath.

With forced air, this is readily achievable unless the cockpit temp is over +35C and in that case everybody in there will be sweating like pigs.

Administrator

The iPad was lying on my tights / or on the passenger seat (I did most of the flights alone), so there wasn’t any direct ventilation to it

Sign in to add your message