Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avidyne IFD versus Garmin GTN touch screen user interfaces

TobiBS wrote:

Well @arj1 what do you need to enter manually, when you transfer the flightplan wireless from your tablet? I agree that when you have to type in the whole flightplan, this is a cumbersome activity and I would like to have a proper keyboard.
But for some directs and the selection of the SID or approach?

Waypoints in Direct To?
Amending a flight plan with your tablet not connecting to the Flight Stream when you need it?
Because something is not OK with the Flight Stream.

Or flying a rental plane with a GTN but no Flight Stream.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that using a tablet to update the nav data or change a flight plan is great thing.
But if we compare A* with G* like for like, A* gets a tick.
And then I just don’t get it why can’t there be an external keyboard?!
There is absolutely no way to connect one to GTN!

EGTR

chflyer wrote:

I mostly get short-cuts, i.e. DCT to some waypoint further down my FPL route, and that is dead simple on the Avidyne.
It’s quite trivial in a GTN as well. Hell even even in a GNS.
With airways on both, I think it has pretty much evened out.
ESMK, Sweden

Here is another comparison video

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A valid comparison, but has anyone seen an unpublished hold at an unpublished waypoint in Europe?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I give them from time to time, yes.

EBST, Belgium

I’ve had several unpublished holds but always at some database waypoint.

I tend to ask whether RH or LH, unless it is obvious and then I just ask them to confirm. I believe there is a convention in the US that an unpublished hold is always one of these, but don’t recall which.

I’ve never had a “hold at 7 DME on 275 radial from VORxxx” which was a favourite in the FAA IR, and frankly very few people in Europe would know what the picture should look like.

I give them from time to time, yes.

I better stay out of your place then

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

A valid comparison, but has anyone seen an unpublished hold at an unpublished waypoint in Europe?

Never got one but heard few times over the radio close to big airports in case of bed weather causing some congestions.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

I believe there is a convention in the US that an unpublished hold is always one of these, but don’t recall which.

It’s always RH, published or not. ATC only specify the direction if LH. I once got one of those holds, but ended up not flying it, as ATC amended the clearance before I got there. Can’t really see the difficulty.

As for the video – to my mind that sounds more like a solution in search of a problem. If you’re tracking to a VOR and get a ‘Hold at 15 DME from XYZ VOR’, well you just carry on until you’re 15 DME and happily fly a holding pattern.

Last Edited by 172driver at 26 Apr 20:31

Peter wrote:

I tend to ask whether RH or LH, unless it is obvious and then I just ask them to confirm. I believe there is a convention in the US that an unpublished hold is always one of these, but don’t recall which.

A standard hold is always right turns, one minute legs. Anything else is non-standard and should be specified by ATC. This is not a US convention but an ICAO standard — it applies equally in Europe.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message