Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop strike (merged)

It always takes longer that you can hope for. My crankcase spend nearly 3 months in US.

United Kingdom

What happened ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The main bearing bore was worn beyond service limits. No idea why there is no shop in Europe able to repair it. So you send it off and wait. Hopefully it arrives there, but usually takes longer, got lost somewhere in a warehouse and customs had their word. Finally arrived. Return was no problem.

United Kingdom

My understanding is that this is needed if the crankshaft bearings have been moving about or the crankcase halves rubbing together, as a result of the crankcase not having been screwed together properly.

Stuff often gets stuck in Customs. My engine got "lost" for 4 weeks at Heathrow...

Administrator

This Aerostar pilot is one of the luckiest men (barely) alive.

Link

That’s amazing!

His props must have been trashed.

Can re re-classify it as a homebuilt/experimental and just hammer the props back into shape?

It’s a pity you need a facebook acount to see that video. At least that is how it seems to me. I guess one could download the video (well obviously one “can”, technically speaking). Or maybe it’s on youtube?

Administrator

He is very lucky … but he must also be quite an idiot. He could easily have killed himself with that stupid stunt.

I would not judge him and his reaction. The strip was very short and this must have been a shock — who knows what each of us would have done in such a moment? We are after all trained to go around when something is not right. Might not be enough time to think.

Ok, yes – i should not judge him you are right.

But in my MEP training I was not taught to go-around in cases like that when the airplane was already on the ground, because in most cases when something goes wrong in a landing your chances are better if you stay down. A crash from ony 50 feet will result in fatalities … sliding into the cornfield not … at least most of the time.

I cannot really tell if the runway is long or short. Anybody know where that happened?

I would. With the awful scrapping and flying dust I can’t see anyone but a technically illiterate moron opening the throttles again let alone taking off.

They should shred his licence and think seriously about his driving too.

Last Edited by SteveN at 19 Apr 17:46
Gloucester UK (EGBJ)
Sign in to add your message