Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Simple GPS which can do approaches - Garmin GPS175, also Garmin GNX375

A TB owner in the US replaced a KLN94 with the GNX375 – exactly what I would expect to be a common application. This was posted on the US Socata site

He says it drives the KMD250 MFD OK (he cannot get database updates for it though). I guess he has not tried it in the OBS mode, which is where replacing a KLN94 with a GNSx30 box reportedly failed to work when driving the KMD550 normally fitted to later TBs.

His report:

The ADS-B solution for N205GT was to remove the old BK KLN-94 and transponder replacing it with a Garmin GNX 375, an economical solution to get GPS Nav up to date and comply with the Jan.1 mandate in one box. It works great, interfacing with the King indicators and S-Tec 30 Autopilot with no mods. One hitch, we had planned to keep the old BK KMD-250 as an auxiliary display. The GNX 375 will display course info on it and the old TKAS installation is still active, useful for alerting to the 20% that’s not ADS-B compliant yet.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The GNX 375 would make a neat swap for a KLN94 and Mode S transponder, but not sure if Europe is ever likely to go ADS – B – Out/In, for sub 5.7 ton aircraft. So not sure it makes sense economically.

https://ads-b-europe.eu/

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 22 Sep 13:25
Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I found this on a US site, for a KLN94 → GPS175 change

I thought this might help anyone else going from a Bendix/King KLN-94 to a Garmin GPS-175 to get the OBS resolver working with the existing KLN-94 wiring:
KLN-94—————————GPS-175
P942——————————-J1751
37 OBS RETURN——2 OBS STATOR H (GND)
34 OBS OUT—————3 OBS STATOR C
36 OBS COS————-25 OBS STATOR F
35 OBS SIN—————-44 OBS STATOR D
-————————————24 OBS STATOR G (GND) N/C
-————————————45 OBS STATOR E (GND) N/C
The only other issue when switching is the tray mounting screw holes from the KLN-94 do not line up with the GPS-175 tray so you will need to drill new holes.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
53 Posts
Sign in to add your message